Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Looking Glass King

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Froggy the Great

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: The Looking Glass King Reply with quote

Converted and slightly repainted DreamBlade figure.
2.25" tall.

Before the Looking Glass was encased in a fortress and then lost to Wonderland, a mysterious figure strode the Chessboard Fields, seeking ever only to unite the Red and White chessmen under one banner. By stalemate or conquest, only unification mattered...but against what common foe?
snate56

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Good Form, Good Form!!! Mr. Green

Great work, Froggy! DreamBlade, you say?

SteveN
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the touch-up work done on that mini! You've really brought out some of the nicer details that are harder to pick out on the figure as-is (since the original figure as released in the game is done in clear plastic with a faint bluish tint, and a half-hearted wash).

I've also gotten a few Dreamblade minis I've gotten on the cheap (in grab bags at local comic/game stores, or in bundles online) that I've been modifying for use in an upcoming Wonderland No More campaign. I've got a few copies of this same miniature - I couldn't very well pass it up, since it's a cool sculpt, and it's translucent/transparent. (I mean, I could theoretically sculpt anything I want out of wire armiture, Magic Sculp, and/or green stuff, but I can't "paint things clear.")

While it's a hit-and-miss matter to get Dreamblade minis by the box, and many of the cool ones also happen to be rare/expensive, but there are quite a few that work nicely for a demented, dreamlike game. The bases that come with them are almost 40mm square, but with some effort most figures can be pried from (or cut from) the Dreamblade base and put on something smaller.

Some of the Dreamblade minis are of buildings/structures/places, in an extreme demonstration that this game isn't overly concerned with matters of scale. I've used such minis in one of the variations I ran on a WNM adventure where the heroes were journeying in a ship to find Snark Island. (I used PotSM-scale ships for vehicles, and used Dreamblade structures for surreal hazards and locations on the sea board, and used separate ship models for hand-to-hand combat on board the royal "card ship" and the "Snark Hunter.")

Some other interesting figures from this series (sticking mostly to Commons, since those are easiest to find - and the cheapest - about 50 cents at Troll & Toad, cheaper at some other places):
* Jack of Blades (#63, base set): Whether or not you keep the "scissorhands," this cowled figure works nicely for various mysterious/ghostly roles.
* Saint of Roses (#16 base set): Makes a great statue. Or, use some putty to convert the head and have a wicked-cool Bishop.
* Spellbound Scissors (#46 base set): Killer anthropomorphic (or merely animated) scissors! Very Wonderlandish-gone-Wrongish.
* Twilight Scout (#22 base set): Makes for a decent Animal (though I suppose it'd be nicer if he wore a waistcoat).
* Windborne Blademaster (#48 base set): It's a killer kite! That's got to be good for something - or a kitbash, at least.
* All-Seeing Mage (#25 base set): I've used copies of this one for kitbashes of big baddies - wraiths, wizards, etc.
* Alluring Succubus (#73 base set): Partially translucent, it's too large to be human-scaled, but, hey, it looks ghostly. I've mostly used this as a ghost for my Savage Ghostbusters game, actually, but it's still a nice figure among the Commons.
* Dreamreef Marauder (#81, base set): It's basically a big fin, strongly implying something bigger is swimming underneath. Perfect for my Endless Sea adventure.
* Dreamstuff Entity (#33, base set): Very blobby, surreal ... haven't used it yet, but I'm sure to find a use for it eventually. Wink
* Gateway to Psychosis (#36, base set): I've gotten several of these, and used them as decorative details for surreal terrain. (It's basically a corner wall piece with some oozing, tentacled horror coming out of an oddly-shaped portal; it doesn't work so well to represent something that's supposed to *move*.)
* Pearlthorn Castle (#14, base set): a good example of some of the "terrain" pieces - a castle, with a gigantic dragon curled around it (though the dragon's detailing is very subtle, and it'd be easy to repaint it to just look like a hill base). I think none of the terrain pieces are "Common," so they're generally priced higher, but I lucked out and got a few in grab-bag deals.

There's also a neat miniature I found that looks like an anthropomorphized bell (with its own ringer), from a later set, but I need to find the number for that.
Froggy the Great

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good ideas and I shall have to use some of them.

Hmmm.

</evil>
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One really nice thing about the setting is that an entire race is made up of flat people ... so paper models for THEM are perfectly fine, right up alongside 3D minis. Wink Even if the images are at 3/4 angle, or something other than straight on, it still fits into a sort of weird Wonderlandish sense.

I found a few lots of Dreamblade minis on Ebay, by the way, but unfortunately no really great deals (in my very stingy estimation) State-side. You really have to keep an eye on the "shipping & handling" cost.

For other possibilities (apologies for any repeats, and that I don't have any UK-specific links handy):

Hypertime #046-048 Mad Hatter: $0.20-$0.25 at Miniatures Market, and similar "singles" prices elsewhere.

Malifaux Lamp Posts: (sample entry here)
Not cheap (these are metal, and meant to decorate figure bases), but I figured I simply HAD to get some Victorian-ish lamp posts ... and these have some curlique details that seem appropriate for twisted Wonderland.

HorrorClix Jack the Ripper Promo: image link
This was a "buy it by the box" promo, but it's not too hard to find online. Basically it consists of a Victorian fellow with doctor's bag and knife, with a poorly-attired "lady of negotiable affections" lying on the base. Topic aside, a creepy Victorian gentleman is bound to be useful somewhere (and the figure can be re-based fairly easily so that there isn't a scantily-clad lady cluttering up the base).

HorrorClix Freakshow #7 Wolf Boy:
image link
I actually got a few of these because: a) They were a nickel each; b) Even if I don't need a bunch of little werewolves in short pants, the wooden STOOL can be useful for terrain furniture. But even so, the li'l werewolf could be useful as an Animal (if you trim away the chain), and unlike most "werecritter" creatures, he's reasonably suitably attired for the setting.

HorrorClix Freakshow #19 Kuranes:
image link
A hobo/bum in a battered stovepipe hat, with a doctor's bag (and, for some reason, handcuffs). A head with an old-style hat can be useful for kitbashing, and the figure as-is could be useful.

HorrorClix Freakshow #37 Snake Oil Salesman:
image link
I've kitbashed this guy by carefully trimming away the snakes with a hobby knife, and filling in the gaps with putty, and ended up with a passable "snake oil salesman" who fits in the vague times of yesteryear - perhaps late Victorian England, or the early 20th century. He could work as a Gourmancer, whose trappings are all in the form of "bottles of tonic."

HorrorClix Freakshow #43 Freddie Von Bludd:
image link
Fairly cheap source of heads with top hats, if your putty-fu skills aren't up to the task. (I've been getting quite a bit of practice making top hats out of Magic Sculp and "green stuff" lately, while trying to prep WNM and general Victorian-era minis.) This is basically a two-headed freakshow character, a bit too unique to be useful to have too many duplicates of him, but a good source of a few kitbashing pieces. (He's holding a rabbit by the ears in one hand, a knife in the other, and actually has a spare arm.)

HorrorClix Freakshow #49 Gypsy Seer:
image link
I've got a few of these, not because I need an army of gypsy seers (for which this figure works nicely), but because I've found use for the clear plastic "wispy spirits" that decorate the base, either on their own, or as decorations for other figures.

HorrorClix Freakshow #58 Victorian Vampire:
image link
This is a Nosferatu-type poised over a lady who appears to have fainted. As-is, it's questionable how much this would be useful for a regular Wonderland No More campaign ... but due to the Victorian-theming (and the fact that it's a "common"), I thought I'd list it anyway as a potential kitbashing source.

HorrorClix Freakshow #73 Firefighter:
image link
This looks like a decent gent who could fit in Victorian times (with that fashionable mustache and sideburns, and he has suspenders), holding an axe, and rolling up his sleeves, possibly as a PC human caught up in Wonderland ... or, again, a kitbashing source.

HorrorClix Nightmares #40 Demon Bunny:
image link
It's a bunny monster. 'Nuff said.

HorrorClix Base Set #26 Constrictor:
image link
It's a large black snake twined around a candelabra. There's nothing inherently Wonderlandish about candelabras, nor of snakes, but somehow the odd combo ... well, let's just hope none of my WNM PCs have a phobia of snakes. (Besides, I was able to get these for 5 cents each.)

HorrorClix Base Set #37 Mr. Fright:
image link
The sculpting is hideous, but the figure would work nicely if you want a Victorianish evil ghost/spirit type. Or, maybe you just want the head and/or hat to kitbash a hideous Wonderland native.

HorrorClix Base Set #40 Vampire Enforcer:
image link
I just really like the coat, that's it. I mean, it has coat tails. I've used this figure for kitbashes (though with different heads, since the hyooge vampire fangs are a bit distracting, and he really needs a hat).

HorrorClix Base Set #46 Scarecrow:
image link
It's a killer scarecrow in a pretty decent action pose. I can think of at least two Savage Worlds adventures that could benefit from having killer scarecrow minis on hand. (I also recall that there's a Dreamblade mini - "Autumn Knight," or something like that - that features an armored body with a flaming pumpkin head.)

HorrorClix Base Set #50 Evil Leprecaun:
image link
It's an evil leprecaun with a big grin and some sort of cudgel. He can be a Wonderland native, or (again) a source for kitbashing.

HorrorClix Base Set #64 Matron Mother:
image link
Basically, an "evil nun" with pretty bizarre proportions. Could be a base for making a Wonderland native ... or a very STRANGE PC protagonist.

HorrorClix The Lab #37 Insect Man:
image link
The nice thing about the rookie/veteran/experienced progression on this model is that each one has a different head. Basically, this looks like some guy in hospital scrubs, with a bug head (ant, spider, or other bug), a bug arm, and some spiny things coming out of his back. I ended up using copies of this for kitbashing, removing the bug arm and bug head (and spines) to save for later, and using alternate heads and arms from my "bitz box" to turn the figures into asylum patients (for an adventure taking place in an insane asylum) ... and then the bug heads and such could be useful for kitbashing insectoid types later on.

HorrorClix The Lab #90 Pod Mother:
image link
Evil plant monster with a FACE, holding a human victim in its tendrils. Could be used for a Plant character (a very nasty one) for WNM. To tone down the nastiness, the victim could be trimmed out.

HorrorClix Nightmares #20 Centipede:
image link
Sorry, not a caterpillar, but, hey, kind of close!

HorrorClix Nightmares #24 Jack in the Box:
image link
It's a killer jack-in-the-box. Apparently some sort of tentacled horror lives inside. Not something anyone needs in bulk, but the figure itself seems to demand a special encounter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: