Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Ops

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimmdoc

No Cards!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Black Ops Reply with quote

I was thinking of running a Necropolis game but creating another order that has special privileges to battle the unholy scourge. They are recruited from the ranks of the sargents and other orders. All members are listed as MIA for their term of service in this secret order. They are called Ordo Dracul, order of the Dragon. They have no tabard or emblem for they do not exist.

Majority of orders missions are to go behind the enemy lines gather intel, sabotage, search and destroy, and extraction.

so what do you think?
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure? I think the Lazarites fill in this role pretty well, but there is certainly an appeal about this special unit you're proposing.
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Sure? I think the Lazarites fill in this role pretty well, but there is certainly an appeal about this special unit you're proposing.

Yeah but the lazarite's are smelly nasties and I dont like them Laughing Much prefer the idea of MIA types, But then only I know what I did to those Lazarus knights that double crossed me...shhhhhhh but dont tell the Abbot!
daran

Five

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Steve wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:

Yeah but the lazarite's are smelly nasties and I dont like them Laughing Much prefer the idea of MIA types, But then only I know what I did to those Lazarus knights that double crossed me...shhhhhhh but dont tell the Abbot!

Please report to the Preceptory Security Office. The Knight Commander wishes to speak to you.
grimmdoc

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:

Well the Lazarites are more intel gathering on the Repham then anything else, but how I would use the Dracul, is they are deep black ops.

They are deniable, expendable, and are not true knights, but they act with the authority of the pope, they don't carry swords however they permitted to carry any weapons needed for their mission. Including grenades. They are the shadow of the church doing the dirty work where it is needed.

only the pope and a few in his inner circle know of them, and to most others they are rumor, an urban legend.

and their duty is to combat the enemies of the church both human and not with extreme prejudice combined with stealth.

so the church has a several units of what you might call "Tarnished Angels" to go on suicide missions, use gorilla warfare, and even sabotage corporations development in weapons, nukes, and undead super solider creation.
They are even used as assassins, and the vows of the Dracul are different than any other ordo. They are not bound to an ideal of morality they are freed to go forth and commit sins for the good of the church.
shadd4d

Deuce

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with going behind enemy lines is depending on the enemy. This works less well on the Rephaim, given their predilections and how they view the living.

The problem is that I can see this being a one shot, but it falls apart given the defenses and how the Rephaim operate. There's no real deep cover in the Undead ranks; even the Ordo Tenebre has its version of morale officers and would be the first place to look for traitors. Besides, in doing that sort of thing, this would be a normal Scout Lance, maybe with attached Engineers or something like that. Also, why, if the church is involved in an overt war with the undead, does the church need a black ops group? Black Ops, special operators or what have you exist for deniability; why do you need deniability against your sworn enemy? And why would the pope back this unless he has oversight and control?

Quote:
so the church has a several units of what you might call "Tarnished Angels" to go on suicide missions, use gorilla warfare, and even sabotage corporations development in weapons, nukes, and undead super solider creation.

They have those; they're called Penitents. Twisted Evil

In my reading of Necropolis, I see it as divided. If it's against the Rephaim, then you have the Sacred Ordines or maybe specially outfitted teams on a preceptory or case-by-case basis based on the situation. Special ops teams might be elite Scout lances with attachments. In any case, they'd be knights, more often than not, Scout or maybe even Preachers would be used for deep cover, depending on the mission.

If it's against the corporations, I'd see it as a cooperation by Church Intelligence Services and the Knights. CIS is the ones who do all the things that (Americans) attribute to the FBI, CIA, NSA and all the other 3-letters. They'd be the actual agents. Now...with the Necropolis Update, I'd see maybe special Templar units being seconded to CIS to try and disrupt "heretical" plans. And they'd need deniability when operating against corporate interests, as the corps and the church are more in a "cold war" relationship compared to the official "hot war" between humanity and the Rephaim.

Now being the position of being expendable might be an interesting role-playing opportunity, but I'd still see it as something explored as the Penitents, perhaps.
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penitents sent on a suicide mission, granted special permission to wear armor and carry heavy weapons, with guaranteed forgiveness in the (likely) event of their deaths...?

Yeah, I could see that being codenamed the "Order Dracul."
grimmdoc

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the inspiration of this came from my waiting to play Call of Duty Black Ops,

like I said this a group that can be disposable, and used to do things that the church wants done but doesn't want any connection to or there is a large margin for failure so they want no official ties to the Ordo Dracul,
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Church would hire mercenaries for such things.

I don't think the word "expendable" enters into their vocabulary for Knights. They might say "acceptable losses," or "unforseen casualties," but they would never consider a Knight "expendable."

Furthermore, I can't imagine the Church creating missions that have a large margin of failure. They'd simply adjust the definition of "success."
grimmdoc

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
The Church would hire mercenaries for such things.

I don't think the word "expendable" enters into their vocabulary for Knights. They might say "acceptable losses," or "unforseen casualties," but they would never consider a Knight "expendable."

Furthermore, I can't imagine the Church creating missions that have a large margin of failure. They'd simply adjust the definition of "success."

You do have a good point but like I stated earlier they are not Knights per say.

The Ordo Dracul is kinda like DC Comics Suicide Squad,

I figured that each of the Player Characters would be facing a death sentience for some crime that they may or my not of committed. as each sits in their cell waiting for their turn at the burning stakes (or Firing Squad depending on the situation) somebody enters the cell, he is dressed in black, a man of middle years, he bears an emblem on is jacket that gives him the authority of the Pope. Then he says " I have an offer for you....You can die today, a sinner, a criminal, or you could die in service to God or..... of old age if you live that long.

Basically kinda the same deal as the Suicide Squad, survive five years of the most dangerous missions and receive a full absolution for their sins or die in service to the church.

and like I said they are not knights (or no longer knights) they don't exist, they are the worst of society given a chance to do what they do for a greater good.

and true the church could hire mercs but I think the concept of a church run black ops unit makes for something interesting. Why pay someone to your dirty work when you have a people who will do this for free.
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I bring up the point that this Order should be made up of Penitents. Absolution through combat is the whole point of the Penitent Order.

I'm not saying "don't do it," or even that it's not a cool idea, all I'm saying is there's a way to do exactly this within the existing game world.

A secret order of Penitent Knights, all "officially" killed in action, given new identities and a second chance, able to wear armor and wield weapons in the Church's cause again, maybe even offered training equivalent to any of the other Ordos...mechanically, they're stacking the Ordo training and the Penitent training in exchange for overwhelming odds.

Or if they're Sergeants or just bad people, give them Knight training, but forbid them from carrying swords in favor of molecular axes or big maces covered in armor-piercing flanges.

Is that more like you're picturing?
grimmdoc

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...yep Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: