Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginning Necropolis Campaign

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yarriofultramar

No Cards!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Beginning Necropolis Campaign Reply with quote

Hi!

I would like to run a game of Necropolis for my friends. We recently played other game with a lot of investigation, so having a combat heavy game would be nice. I was thinking to start a New Budapest campaign. Do you think it is a good idea? Should I run "Advance"? We are experienced SW players and we do not shy away from combat but I never run a game with vehicles. Also what are your ideas for roleplaying? The "Advance" does not seem to involve any. Another issue I have is with the party size. I will have two players, plus my wife agreed to play in the battle (she doesn't) like roleplaying but is fine with minis and dice-rolling. I guess we can have two characters each but how would you downsize the battle to keep it interesting but not impossible to beat?
Another question is purely for curiosity sake: why zombies in Necropolis do not have weakness for head-shots? Or am I mistaken. Do you think that allowing for such a weakness would make game too easy?
Best regards

Yarri
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums!

Head shots on zombies is very much a horror movie thing. Zombies in Necropolis are corpses animated through alien technology and "magic," so they simply don't have that weakness. Adding it won't change much, though.

The core campaign is very combat intensive. How many PCs you have doesn't make a huge difference, as most campaigns involve lots of allied units. Without the allies, the campaign is beyond deadly -- it's all-but impossible. Smile On the other hand, most of the standalone adventures we produced are designed purely around the heroes, and have far fewer allies involved.

As for the roleplaying, in the campaign much of that comes from intra-party banter rather than NPCs. Of course, with so many allies involved there is always a chance to talk with the troops. Again, the standalone adventures branch out more, offering investigative and role-playing possibilities the purely military side of the game doesn't.

Yarriofultramar

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Couple more questions Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks! I have been discussing upcoming game of Necropolis with one of my players and some questions popped up.
1. Does Sacri Ordines make use of smoke cover - can players access smoke bombs and such? Would be mighty useful in "Advance".
2. Does damage rolls versus bunkers ace?
3. Does flamer hit everyone in the bunker if flame template covers it?
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Smoke grenades are mentioned in the 2351-55 update (p17 and p24). But as usual, you have only the gear that your mission requires (and can't be organized through unofficial channels). And remember, that many Rephaim have Thermal Vision that negates the effect of such smoke screens, at least in part.
2. Bunkers are inanimate objects, so damage doesn't ace under the old SWEX core rules.
3. If the template fills the room completely; yes. But consider the cover bonus etc., and that it must be hit by the full stream through one of the openings, not just a stray hit from outside that "licks" into the room. It's the Warmasters call here, and depends on the situation.

Three

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
1. Smoke grenades are mentioned in the 2351-55 update (p17 and p24). But as usual, you have only the gear that your mission requires (and can't be organized through unofficial channels). And remember, that many Rephaim have Thermal Vision that negates the effect of such smoke screens, at least in part.

Chiming in here, Thermal Vision only halves penalties, remember, so Smoke will still make Knights significantly harder to hit since it creates Pitch Black conditions.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
Chiming in here, Thermal Vision only halves penalties, remember, so Smoke will still make Knights significantly harder to hit since it creates Pitch Black conditions.

As i said, at least in part. And the remaining -2 of Pitch Darkness are countered by a Wild Attack or Aiming. Smile

Three

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:

As i said, at least in part. And the remaining -2 of Pitch Darkness are countered by a Wild Attack or Aiming. Smile

While I'd allow unled Lesser Rephaim to Wild Attack, I would hesitate to allow most Zombies and Skeletons to Aim.
Harlan

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beginning Necropolis Campaign Reply with quote

Yarriofultramar wrote:
Also what are your ideas for roleplaying? The "Advance" does not seem to involve any.

There seems to be at least two ways to play Necropolis: You can simply put everyone's avatar on the table and play a mission as it is provided in the book. This is nice, if you simply want to run a bloody scirmish and will prompt a lot of roleplaying, when your characters are bleeding, aching and screaming on the battlefield.

But take a look at Salus. Read the GM's section and then read the player's section again. The place is a mess. If you want to explore in this bog of corruption, you need to introduce a lot of NPCs to flesh out the PPC. If you want to run the PPC, it is probably a good idea to introduce the chracters to their perceptory: which of the SO's is running it? Who are the guys that are sending the PC's out to die and WHY? Who else is around and what are their goals? What is the true goal of assaulting New Budapest NOW and why has the City fallen in the first place? Wait, these guys are not civilian Surgeons but Lazarites? Who has allowed that amongst all the refugees from New Budapest the coporations have cancerously spread in the Iron Belt and undermined the morale? ... and these are just some of the possible questions your players want to ponder while their lance is donning grav belts to jump from an Angel.

You will find some answers in the book, but if you want to explore Salus, you still need to make up some of them yourself, to set the mood just as it fits you. Surprise your players: you were playing intrigues before? Necropolis can be all about intrigue and you still get to squish zombies. Best of two worlds, really Twisted Evil
Yarriofultramar

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Impressions after Advance Reply with quote

So it has happened. The smoke has dispersed and charred bodies of zombies cooled down. I was talking with my players and here are our observations and problems with the game:
1. There was some color scenes before the scenario proper - meeting in the corridor of Interrogation Bureau in Rhonebruck - a higher up Knight of Verbi Benedicti was murdered by a heretic. According to the rumors the meeting between leaders of orders meant launching a big military Op. Some said that Senior Knight Cecillo Garza was coordinating Intelligence Ops behind the Belt. Some even believe that he infiltrated New Budapest! Yet he was struck by a blow of a traitor. Player characters from different Orders were assigned to the conference as a suport – not bodyguards. Outrage caused by traitor led bodyguards to be sent to Ordo Penitentia but the rest after brief interrogation was assigned a glorious task – combined forces were to assault heavy fortifications.
2. Second color scene: Cathedral in Rhonebruck – a sermon about fallen Cecillo Garza and importance of supporting church, inquisition and most of all the necessity of paying tithe and volontary donations. Subsequent heretic burning
3. Third color scene: PC return from military exercise in combined arms exercises. Tanks drive through green and pleasant land. Children throw flowers on the road. Heretics hang from steel gibbets, religious music plays from the loudspeakers.
4. The assault proper: Played by the book. Heavy losses on the minefield, much desperation from PC Senior Knight – after reassuring speech by Padre Benedetto and singing religious song “I left the shield in my tank. Need but a sword to work through my day” the battle continues. Finally brother Ben Johnson quickened by the padre and due to his olimpic abilities launches 24 inch charge to the first bunker opens the door, puts in a grenade (no throwing skill) and closes the door. Much rejoicing ensues.
5. Assault knights slowly make their way to the bunkers under bombardment of gehenna cannons necrophages. Padre Benedetto heals one fallen by the mine. Then flames purify the sin from two bunkers. Only the vampire is able to avoid the blazing inferno.
6. Brother Ben Johnson launches charge to the last bunker – shredding continues.
7. The vampire decides to destroy the puny human. He is about to leave the door of the bunker when shell from the tank falls in through the firing slit and explodes. It is a death blow (An adventure card) – 44 damage! The vamp tries to soak but evaporates. No regeneration for him.
8. The outcome: 7 squires meet their demise under the barrage of the Undead and the mines. Two knights were saved by Padre Benedetto. The minesweeper was immobilized and almost destroyed.
Our impressions – the game world is awesome. We all (GM) included loved the templar feel and playing holier than thou knights. We were tired almost to the bring of giving up by the battle. It took us over three hours to go through it. The lucky blow to the minesweeper brought down the assault to the halt. Overall players were unimpressed by the battle and I cannot imagine convincing them to go through such a big encounter again. The main issue was a massive downtime during GM's turn – especially buckets of dice from automatic weapon and scatter from Gehenna cannons. On the plus side I am thinking to use mass battle rules to abstract the conflict and set a series of smaller encounters with PC and few enemies at once.
There are some questions and it well might be that I messed up some things (I had no internet access during the game).
1. Shooting to bunkers – I judged that in order to hit inside of the bunker they have -6 to hit. There was no chance to damage the bunker. We collectively decided that suppressive fire had also penalty to hit (in order to simulate the protection it gives to occupants). How you were dealing with these bloody bunkers?
2. PC decided not to use the support due to delay and fear of friendly fire. Still - could artillery support clear the minefield in some way? Is there any way it can harm zombies inside bunkers.
I would be obliged if you shared your stories and opinions about big battles in Necropolis.

If you are interested, here is a link to some pictures from the session.
https://picasaweb.google.com/yarriofultramar/Torfcon_2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Tl;dr: We enjoy the setting but were tired by the length of combat.
cubbyroy

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group played the same scenario and pretty much felt the same way. This seemed to be a very slow battle that gets bogged down multiple times. Nothing against Necropolis as I love the setting just not a big fan of this scenario.
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cover would provide Armor against suppression fire instead of subtracting from the Shooting roll, as it's an Area of Effect attack rather than an aimed attack.
steelbrok

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the scenario as a straight wargame scenario, it was a good one to try out the rules for artillery, suppressive fire etc but I would agree it would be pretty brutal for a PC party to be involved in.
Harlan

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
I think the cover would provide Armor against suppression fire instead of subtracting from the Shooting roll, as it's an Area of Effect attack rather than an aimed attack.

More precisely, the Cover-Bonus is added to the Spirit-roll of the target.

@Yarriofultramar
I ran the scenario in two sessions, because we are playing in a gamers association in a limited time-frame. We had played some sessions of Necropolis before, and I had seven (!) players at my table. I started with some color scenes, too (after all, the Advance is the beginning of a much anticipated enterprise!) and was very unhappy to cut the scenario in mid-scene at about eleven p.m. Since everyone got fresh bennies the next night, the scenario was seriously bogged down. If we had rushed through it, another hour or so would have done the trick, since everyone was pretty exhausted already (and likely we would have seen more carnage and casualties). However, in the end it took us even longer than your three hours. I have written a full report on a german forum, but all I can show here are pictures. This was the setup. Maybe you recognize the D&D Dungeon Tiles (The Wild); the Hexagons are from another board game (Settlers of Catan).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: