Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Crafts] Wonderland No More-ish Dice Bag Fabric Suggestion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: [Crafts] Wonderland No More-ish Dice Bag Fabric Suggestion Reply with quote

This year, I gave the players in my gaming group early Christmas presents (at the last game before the holiday) in the form of homemade reversible drawstring dice bags. A local fabric store, Joann's Fabric, has periodic fabric sales, and one of the fabrics in particular struck me as perfect for the "Wonderland No More" theme: "Bleeding Hearts"

It has an assortment of red hearts, red roses, white chess pieces, and artistic BLOOD SPLATS against a black background dotted with sparkly silver (metallic thread) stars.

I just got 8" cuts of various novelty fabrics in the store and made some lined bags (so they're "reversible"). I'll try taking some step-by-step photos the next time I make some, as a guide, since there's no "pattern" per se.

Example of the dice bags (the "Bleeding Hearts" fabric is used on the bottom/foreground one):

Reversed bags, showing alternate fabric/liners:

(For the interior of the Wonderland No More themed bag, I used a fabric called "red shell," which I think works rather well to represent either red dragon scales, or else red jabberkin hide.)
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Very Happy

These bags look awesome!

Could you share the approximate price of your materials, and how long you worked on them?

Wink

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice.
=
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
Nice! Very Happy

These bags look awesome!

Could you share the approximate price of your materials, and how long you worked on them?

Wink

The "novelty" fabrics cost about $9 USD per yard (36"), while the "Red Shell" (AKA "dragon scale" or "jabberkin hide" Wink ) fabric cost only $4 per yard. Each side of the bag essentially requires an 8" square, and multiply that times two to account for the liner. When I got the fabric cut at the store, I just asked for 8" of each fabric type (though I got 16" of the "Red Shell" since I figured I'd get a bit more use out of it). This particular weekend, there was a 30%-off sale on the "novelty" fabrics, and then I have to figure in local sales tax.

The cloth usually comes anywhere from 44" to 60" wide, varying from type to type, so a single 8" cut can provide at least enough fabric for a whole bag (if you use the same fabric type for outside and liner), or, two 8" cuts of two different fabric types will give you enough for two bags. Depending upon how much is left over, there may be enough scraps for more bags.

I was able to get a large spool of cord to serve for drawstrings for $8, though I wasn't really keeping track of how much I've used so far. (I would estimate around 20" of cord per bag, since they're about 8" wide, and there's a little extra to tie off the ends and leave a loop.)

I'm going to make a ballpark estimate of about 1/2 hour of work per bag, though a lot of the actual time taken is "overhead" of setting up the sewing machine, changing the thread (I prefer black; it goes with everything!), etc. Doing several bags at once is more efficient.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Doing several bags at once is more efficient.

So it's about $6-7 per bag, and an evening sewing?! Thanks!

Very reasonable price and time tag for such novelty bags.

Wink

Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend, for Necronomicon, after I finished prepping my minis and packing everything, I decided to sew up a few more themed dice bags to hold Bennies, dice, cards, etc., for my Savage Worlds games at the con. This time around, I modified my method a bit to be simpler, and took pictures at each step for later reference. There's nothing really sophisticated about the dice bags; in a sense, they're kind of sewn up like home-made pillows, with a gap left where the drawstring will go through, then turned inside-out, with one half of the "pillow" being tucked in as a liner for the other side.

First, I cut out two rectangles of fabric, about 14-16" wide, and 8" tall, taking care to have the top side of the pattern line up with one of the "long" sides of the rectangles. Getting an exact measurement isn't really essential, but however I do it, I take care to compare the two rectangles of cloth to each other, so that one isn't grossly taller or wider than the other, and that the edges are reasonably straight.

For my "Wonderland" themed bag, I used the "Bleeding Hearts" novelty fabric I picked up at Joann Fabrics (with hearts, chess pieces, roses, and blood splats against a black background) for the exterior, and a red scaly pattern for the liner (though I suppose the dice bag is still reversible).

First, I line up the two top long edges together, pattern sides facing together (back sides up) and do a wide zig-zag stitch along the length, using the edge of the sewing machine's foot as a guide to follow the edge of the fabric (making the stitch averaging about 1/4 to 3/8" in from the cloth's edge).

Next, I fold the combined cloth over, patterns still facing each other, so that I bring the two shorter edges of each rectangle together. I insert a pin (it has a yellow round-top head in the picture, and is indicated with the arrow) along the seam at the edge, to make sure it stays lined up. I then start stitching about 1/2 to 3/4" out from the seam down along the outer side, then stop at the corner, turn 90 degrees, and stitch along what will be the bottom of the bag. I repeat the process, mirrored, on the other side. In the end, I should have a section of cloth that is stitched together on all the edges, except for a gap that is around the pin I used as a marker point. That done, I remove the pin.

Next, I carefully turn the bag right-side-out, by pushing in a corner of the bag, and taking care to work it through the gap I left. I have to be careful not to tear the stitches flanking the gap (and for this reason I stitch then reverse, then stitch again at each end of the stitches, to reinforce the point) or stretch the fabric. In this case, the "Bleeding Hearts" fabric is noticeably stiffer than the "red scale" fabric, so I work that half through the hole first, before working on the other half.

I cut a length of sturdy cord (some macrame cord I got fairly cheaply in this case) to be equal to the width of the fabric rectangles originally used (14"-16") plus an added allowance (about 3-4" should do it), fold it in half, then stick it in through the gap, but keeping both ends outside. Next, I choose which side of the fabric is going to be my liner, and then push that fabric in, through the middle of the cord, and tucked into the outer bag. (In this case, the "Bleeding Hearts" is definitely the exterior fabric.)

Some fishing around may be necessary to get the drawstring in its proper place up near the top of the bag, just under the seam. This done, I take the two ends of the drawstring extending out of the bag, and knot them together. (Optionally, with a bit more length to the cord, I might loop in a bead.)

Voila! I have my drawstring bag for dice or Bennies, with a "red jabberkin hide" interior, for a Wonderland No More theme.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: