Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6 Key Questions: New to 2350

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: 6 Key Questions: New to 2350 Reply with quote

This is my first time running a N2350 game. I've got literally all the books and am pretty excited. I do have a couple of questions after doing some initial play-testing.

1) Training the Senior Knight: What kind of pre-game training do I give him. He seems to think being a senior knight is somewhere between Tommy Lee Jones from Captain America and the gulag from Malcolm in the Middle. Initially, he seems reluctant to give orders and his interpersonal tactics are rather passive aggressive.

The upside: he's a competent actor (has a wicked sense of humor) and seems to take direction well. So what direction can I give him (as the WM) before we start the campaign that will make him a competent Senior Knight with a lance that trusts him and is ready to follow him into battle?

We playtested with a Impaler Senior Knight and he's rethinking it. I'm thinking of suggesting preacher for him instead.

2) What is the tech level of Salus like? Are corporations sky high towers of glass and steal? are church farmers living in thatched huts using oxen to plow? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the disparity thematically. Are buildings run down or outdated?

3) How intelligent are Zombies and Skeletons? Seeing as how they can use rifles and weapons they aren't totally inane. Would they be intelligent enough to fight as a unit or take cover and then fire OR would they simply charge after anything that moves with claws withdrawn? Can they make Called Shots.

4) The Fletchette Rifle with Integral Grenade Launcher:

Let me get this straight: How does Full Auto, 3BR and single shot work. Can a player switch between all three during the same shooting round? Or do they have to choose Auto and 3BR before they open fire? How many grenades does the integral launcher come with?

5) Flamethrower in close combat: According to the SWD core you can use Ranged weapons in close combat: can the flame thrower be counted in this as well?

6) Flame Thrower Shooting Bonuses: Does the flamethrower from the SWD Core +2 stack with the Incinerators +2. (if so I'm going to have a very happy Infantry Support Player).
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Key Questions: New to 2350 Reply with quote

vexx666 wrote:
1) Training the Senior Knight: What kind of pre-game training do I give him.

Take a look at the requirements for Senior Knight Rank edge and the archetype pages later.

Senior Knights are the commanders! They have to have the planning, and commanding edges.

Their personality on the other hand can be as diverse as you like.

As trust is concerned, you and more importantly your players must think along the "chain of command". As the other players are usually are his junior officers, they do their own thing, give counsel, but have to follow his orders in the end (most of the time).

Quote:
2) What is the tech level of Salus like? Are corporations sky high towers of glass and steal? are church farmers living in thatched huts using oxen to plow?

It is as "diverse" as the life on todays earth, where high-tech settlements exist next to favelas, sprawling suburbs, cheap flats, and early industrial towns and villages. Poverty is the norm, regardless if it is in corporate or church controlled areas. Read the corresponding articles in the setting book (p65) and in the 2351-55 update. And yes, you can even meet the occasional ox cart in very rural areas.

Quote:
3) How intelligent are Zombies and Skeletons? Seeing as how they can use rifles and weapons they aren't totally inane. Would they be intelligent enough to fight as a unit or take cover and then fire OR would they simply charge after anything that moves with claws withdrawn? Can they make Called Shots.

Zombies and skeletons are usually not of animalistic intelligence. With Smarts d4 they are not brilliant but cunning. Under the leadership of more intelligent rephaim they use all tricks and maneuvers in the box, without leadership they fall back on their cunning and the military training most of them had in their former life.

So they use most basic maneuvers, but use only "basic" tactics.

Quote:

Let me get this straight: How does Full Auto, 3BR and single shot work. Can a player switch between all three during the same shooting round? Or do they have to choose Auto and 3BR before they open fire? How many grenades does the integral launcher come with?

Single Shot = 1 x Shootingl, 1 round used, Aiming Allowed
3RB = 1 x Shooting +2, 3 rounds used, Aiming Allowed
Auto = ROF x Shooting-2, ROF rounds used, No aiming

Switching is part of your shooting roll, so it's simply a flick of your finger (no action). As the rules don't the same action twice in "your round", there is no problem.

The Hellfire comes with a 5 chamber rotary magazine, as described on page 36.

Quote:
5) Flamethrower in close combat: According to the SWD core you can use Ranged weapons in close combat: can the flame thrower be counted in this as well?

GMs call, as an unwieldy flamethrower is just a hose with a short nozzle. You may risk leakage obviously.

Quote:
6) Flame Thrower Shooting Bonuses: Does the flamethrower from the SWD Core +2 stack with the Incinerators +2. (if so I'm going to have a very happy Infantry Support Player).

The modifiers stack as the Cleanse by fire special ability is special training.

Last edited by Enno on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 Key Questions: New to 2350 Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums,

vexx666 wrote:

1) Training the Senior Knight: What kind of pre-game training do I give him. He seems to think being a senior knight is somewhere between Tommy Lee Jones from Captain America and the gulag from Malcolm in the Middle. Initially, he seems reluctant to give orders and his interpersonal tactics are rather passive aggressive.

The upside: he's a competent actor (has a wicked sense of humor) and seems to take direction well. So what direction can I give him (as the WM) before we start the campaign that will make him a competent Senior Knight with a lance that trusts him and is ready to follow him into battle?

We playtested with a Impaler Senior Knight and he's rethinking it. I'm thinking of suggesting preacher for him instead.

There's no one true way to play a Senior Knight, any more than real life NCOs follow a mold. Some are bastards, some are idiots, some are fathers to their men. With regard his Leadership Edges, which now affect Wild Cards, he'd have to give some orders in order for them to work -- if he just stands there silently he isn't really being a leader of men. That said, he doesn;t need to be a tactician -- words of encouragement or berating his men work just as well.

Quote:

2) What is the tech level of Salus like? Are corporations sky high towers of glass and steal? are church farmers living in thatched huts using oxen to plow? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the disparity thematically. Are buildings run down or outdated?

Pretty much all of them. Richer peasants have tractors and nicer houses, but generally the Church states are a little backward,. The cities are Gothic in style (think Gotham City from the early modern Batman movies). The Corporation has hints of Bladerunner -- shiny corporations and skanky worker districts.

The Mother Church chapter in the 2351-2356 Update goes into more detail about the tech.

Quote:

With a d4 Smarts, a zombie is essentially a very stupid human. It can make basic decisions for itself. Think of them as young children when it comes to tactics -- they know how to hide, but actually doing a Called Shot is probably beyond them. That said, you're the GM. Smile

Let me get this straight: How does Full Auto, 3BR and single shot work. Can a player switch between all three during the same shooting round? Or do they have to choose Auto and 3BR before they open fire? How many grenades does the integral launcher come with? [/quote]

No, you can't switch between all three in a round -- you get to flick a switch as a free action and pick one Shooting method before you roll the dice.

A grenade launcher holds 5 shots (N2350, page 44). Note that while the rifle is capable of full auto and 3RB, the grenade launcher is single shot. And you can't fire the rifle and GL in the same round.

Quote:

Unless PEG has ruled otherwise, then yes. However, because it works differently that a gun in terms of how you hit, I'd give it a -2 penalty to align the nozzle.

Quote:

Yes it does. Incinerators are true experts at setting everything on fire.

vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. This has made my life a lot easier. Also, I have a few happy Infantry Support Player (Gods, help the Raphaim). On a side note: I now have a healthy respect for the flechette Rifle.

I'm looking for to getting the campaign started and beginning the pre-game Issue # 0s for my players. They been asking me to bump the start date by a couple of months.

Quick Question brought forward by one of my players, "why does the church use flechette's instead of regular bullets? Wouldn't the effect be the same?" Mechanic-wise, I like the flechette rounds but from a narrative point "why did the church choose these instead of regular ammunition?" I remember reading somewhere they were using these rounds before they came across the raphaim but if you could offer a more solid answer as to why flechette's and why not bullets that would help me out.

Thanks again for the awesome replies,
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real reason given. They're easier to maintain and if you have ammo you have a battery (built into the mag). Quieter as well, and hold more ammo. Lighter than a 12mm rifle. It separates them from the Union.

vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I really appreciate these answers!

This makes sense. It's also a small detail I can use to add more depth between the differences of Union and Church forces.

I was also asked "are skeletons flammable." I decided on "no" as bones burn between 16-1800 *F (880-980 *C). However, I'm adding the description of "shattering bone" to skeletons hit by flame throwers and incendiary devices to add thematically.
vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Chaplains get the repel evil. Is this a template weapon, a spray or something requiring LOS. I looked in the SWD and coulded find a specific spell under the regular listings. Any info would be great!
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vexx666 wrote:
Question: Chaplains get the repel evil. Is this a template weapon, a spray or something requiring LOS. I looked in the SWD and coulded find a specific spell under the regular listings. Any info would be great!

It's the Holy Warrior professional edge, as noted in the Blessed ability on p12! It's a zone around the chaplain with a range of the Chaplains Spirit die.

For just 1 PP it affects all applicable targets within range.

"Targeted" creatures in this case refers to creatures against whom the power would be effective (undead, demons, etc.), not specifically targeting them with an attack, so Blind or darkness doesn't directly affect the edge. The edge doesn't grant any ability to sense such creatures, so the character would be limited in knowing when to use it or positioning himself to affect the most targets. The GM may require a Notice roll then for such a determination.

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Enno,

When I read pg 12 and it said and immediate targets I was unclear about the form this took. My Chaplain is going to be very happy to know she's now got an AOE bomb under her belt. Who is I may get this party ready yet!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: