Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wargames Factory Orcs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDSampo

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Wargames Factory Orcs Reply with quote

Continuing my review of Wargames Factory plastic Vikings and Orcs. I talked about the Vikings yesterday here http://www.tripleacegames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2564 so now here's a few notes about the orcs.

Each sprue is identical and contains enough parts to build three orcs. Like the vikings, you get a ton of weapon options which is cool and various arms, shields, heads etc. You get eight sprues in the box for a total of 24 orcs.

You can see the sprues and some pics on the Wargames Factory site here: http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/myths-and-legends/orc-warband

What I like

The weapon selection is great! You get all kinds of pole-axes, glaives, axes, ugly swords and for the most part you can build these guys with two weapons, weapon and shield, or holding one big weapon in two hands. Bows are also included for you Eye Piercer fans. The heads are a bit refreshing as they do not have the giant underslung jaws popular among other orc makers. If you like that style, these probably won't work for you. They come out looking a bit more like GW Lord of the Rings orcs but I don't have any of those to compare for scale. The overall look of the minis is pretty cool in their junky armor, primitive weaponry, and generally angry expressions. They are believable orcs in that sense.

What I like less

Torsos and legs are separate on these guys and according to WF the torsos are reversible. While that's a cool idea, in practice you end up with really barrel chested orcs since the torso has to look good pointing either way. Frankly it makes them look a little spindly in the arms which I don't think is what you want in an orc. Like the vikings, these minis are closer to "true" 28mm. That's fine since a lot of my collection is also 28mm. What's kind of weird though is when put together on identical bases, the orcs are actually shorter then the vikings. Once again, probably not what you want in an orc.

Like the vikings, these guys don't come with bases so you'll have to supply your own. Again at $15.95 for 24 the miniatures are still cheap so that's less of an issue as long as you know about it.

Overall

I really, really wanted to like these miniatures. I think they look pretty cool by themselves but when put on the table with vikings who are taller and brawnier they kind of lose their lustre. I don't hate them but I think I'm still going to look for bigger brawnier orcs (Mantic?). Anyway, I bought 'em so I will likely use these guys as orc runts in my Hellfrost game. Since they'll look different enough from other orcs on the table it'll be easy to tell the warriors from the fodder.

I'll post some pics when I get some painted up.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: