Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveller 5th Edition Kickstarter

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferno!

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Traveller 5th Edition Kickstarter Reply with quote

I know we have some Traveller fans around here - and let's face it, who isn't a fan of one version or another? A new kickstarter for Traveller 5th Edition is up.
The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news but, having looked at the T5 Kickstarter, I have to say it isn't one of the best I've seen. The differences between the various pledge levels are vague (no mention of the differences between Traveller5 Core Rule Book, Traveller5 Core Rule Book “Imperial Space” Edition, Traveller5 Core Rule Book "Spinward Marches" Edition) and no mention of a pdf version of the rulebook Shocked

I'll hang off a while before committing and see if Marc Miller tightens this project up a bit Confused

Inferno!

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, omitting a pdf is odd in this day and age. One of the backers made a comment about the lack of pdf. Hopefully, Marc Miller will see the error and add a pdf option.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I virtually grew up with the Traveller, and still hold it dear - in every of its incarnations (more or less).

But in this case i'm asking myself, what makes this edition "better" than all other versions from the last ten to fifteen years? And why should it be better than the current Mongoose version of the game, that shares a lot with T5 but still has the classic feel most people missed in T4?

As i understand it, it's just a PRINTED version of the streamlined rules MWM worked on for the last 3-4 years, and that have already been "published" in electronic form a while ago.

So, why don't make the electronic files POD instead of kickstarting this monster of a rulebook?

Four

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair question. I can see the desire to get Marc Miller's T5 over Mongoose's version of the game. I never purchased the T5 electronic books so I can't say anything about it. I am a little concerned about the vague nature of this Kickstarter project but I hope it ends up being something worthwhile. Like you I was brought up on Traveller from the Classic era and always want to support it but, on this occasion, I won't spend my money unless I know what I'm getting.

Nestor

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about Traveller.

To me, it was that game that let me break out of the mindless hack 'n' slash that D&D offered at the time. Even with its faults, it was nice to play a roleplaying game where achievement was measured by more than how many monsters you put down. I have many fond memories of my Vargr merchant's shenanigans in Known Space.

But it too shows the strains of time. I picked up a copy of the Mongoose edition and felt a sort of sad nostalgia reading through it. It was like sitting down with your kid to watch an old cartoon show you adored as a child and gushed about only to realize with embarrassment just how silly and brainless it comes across now.

I wish Mr. Miller all the luck, but I'll give this a pass.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nestor wrote:
But it too shows the strains of time. I picked up a copy of the Mongoose edition and felt a sort of sad nostalgia reading through it. It was like sitting down with your kid to watch an old cartoon show you adored as a child and gushed about only to realize with embarrassment just how silly and brainless it comes across now.

I felt the same, but it shows also that the old system was pretty solid if it is used mostly unchanged for the last 25+ years. The main point was to streamline the rules, update them to modern tech (and our view on future developnents). Mongoose managed that, and if i remember correctly they hold the official Traveller license until 2018 or so...

If i want to feel "the nostalgia" today, i take one of the old scenarios, give it a short Savage Worlds treatment using Wiggys phenomenal SF Toolbox supplements, and off it goes.

Four

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been playing some MongTrav (my first Traveller since the '80s!) and have been enjoying it. I do have Marc Miller's Traveller (not sure what edition/version that is) and it's too encompassing for my tastes. For me MongTrav has it spot on just with the pocket edition. T5 would need to be something special for me to jump on board to be honest.

That said, I hope it does well. More choice is always a good thing Smile

Edit: Just taken a look at the link. Wow! I'm kind of glad I'm not interested - it would cost me £91 ($140) at the cheapest level just to get the book!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: