Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does map scale matter to you?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angry Ghost

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Does map scale matter to you? Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of the maps and map packs etc that I/we may use for Savage Worlds games don't really abide by the 1 inch = 2 yards/6ft. - Many times because they're not made for SW scale, but even then they don't always fit the games they are designed for that well either.

For example, Piazo map packs have beds that take up two squares, meaning that these beds...well they're 12ft long. (Even in D&D I still think that makes it 10ft).

Other folk use things like matchbox cars etc to represent their vehicles.

In a combat situation this really doesn't effect balance, as everyone will still be moving the same amount of squares (roughly speaking).

However, for purposes of (some) realism and for the fact that, well it just bugs me now I've noticed it, does map scale really matter (to you) or not?

If it does, do you change the scale of SW to fit the maps?

If not, do you just ignore the scale (and perhaps any comment from players who might notice it when playing)?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer -- no.

Long answer -- depending where we're playing, we'll use a variety of things ranging from 1" squared maps to books as buildings to custom built scenery to LEGO. So long as everyone is moving the same Pace 6, we tend to quietly ignore scale.

Angry Ghost

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Short answer -- no.

Long answer -- depending where we're playing, we'll use a variety of things ranging from 1" squared maps to books as buildings to custom built scenery to LEGO. So long as everyone is moving the same Pace 6, we tend to quietly ignore scale.

cheers

I thought that might be what you'd say Wink

(although if I wanted to keep to scale with Piazo map packs one could just double up the movement from the look of things)
dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Paizo flip mats and D&D tiles quite a lot. Can't say that I've noticed any issues with scale. The odd 10 ft. bed is something I can live with in comparison with convenience of the mats/tiles Wink

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said over in the Pinnacle forums that if you think of indoors as difficult terrain then everything seems to work out just fine.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a battlemap represents just a rough representation of the scenery, we have no problem when the scale is slightly off. We largely ignore the grid anyway, and use measuring tapes. As long as all sides are treated equally we never had any problems.

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Does map scale matter to you? Reply with quote

Angry Ghost wrote:
However, for purposes of (some) realism and for the fact that, well it just bugs me now I've noticed it, does map scale really matter (to you) or not?

Precise scale used to not matter a whole lot to me. I was one of those GMs who would - if he was winging it and didn't have a map ready - just sketch out something on a blank piece of paper.

Then one night I was running a Twilight 2000 combat in a New York subway station and ended up in an extremely tedious "discussion" about the exact width of the platform. Despite my repeated statements that the sketch was just to help us visualize the layout, my Tactician player decided to sprint across the platform while under fire from several Bad Guys armed with automatic weapons . . .

Me: "It's a boarding platform. It's not a boarding ledge. How could you possibly think it was actually only a yard wide?"
Player: "But that's what the map shows!"
Me: "Okay. We're going to rewind everything back to just before your PC broke cover . . ."
Player: "NO! That doesn't help! My entire combat strategy for this encounter has been ruined!"

It just went on and on and on . . .

So now I try to always have the combat map match how I describe the area . . . even if I have to change the description to match the map.

So - yeah - that's a ten-foot-long, custom-made-for-adventure bed. Word to the wise: don't open the bedside table drawers . . . Wink
Angry Ghost

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Does map scale matter to you? Reply with quote

raikenclw wrote:
Angry Ghost wrote:

Precise scale used to not matter a whole lot to me. I was one of those GMs who would - if he was winging it and didn't have a map ready - just sketch out something on a blank piece of paper.

Then one night I was running a Twilight 2000 combat in a New York subway station and ended up in an extremely tedious "discussion" about the exact width of the platform. Despite my repeated statements that the sketch was just to help us visualize the layout, my Tactician player decided to sprint across the platform while under fire from several Bad Guys armed with automatic weapons . . .

Me: "It's a boarding platform. It's not a boarding ledge. How could you possibly think it was actually only a yard wide?"
Player: "But that's what the map shows!"
Me: "Okay. We're going to rewind everything back to just before your PC broke cover . . ."
Player: "NO! That doesn't help! My entire combat strategy for this encounter has been ruined!"

It just went on and on and on . . .

So now I try to always have the combat map match how I describe the area . . . even if I have to change the description to match the map.

So - yeah - that's a ten-foot-long, custom-made-for-adventure bed. Word to the wise: don't open the bedside table drawers . . . Wink

A bit of a necro I know, but hey.

I rarely used any maps until I played Savage Worlds. I found on several forums that many gamers couldn't "get" how my group could play role playing games without an accurate representation of what was going on. Some folk even got very upset that I didn't use exact measurements when I eventually did use some sort of representation.

When I first used any mini's and terrain it was all done very loose as I wasn't overly familiar with the rules and wanted my players to have fun - me looking at a rule book every five seconds wouldn't have been fun. This actually wasn't Savage Worlds but BASH! UE.

I think personally I would prefer the scale in Savage Worlds to be more inline with a large majority of the gaming aids available - only because the rules themselves tend to push towards more accurate portrayal of distance and movement (then maybe I am used to). However, I've found that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. (...Unless my wife has cast a barrier spell of some description...then there's always hell if she thinks someone might get around it...)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: