Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjetilkverndokken

No Cards!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Suggestion! Reply with quote

Hey!

I have decided to provide youths in my area with some after school activities - as in give them a rpg group.
The age range is 12 to 15.

We have a very good norwegian fantasy game, thats in the updating - but it is still a bit far off - so I decided tha Savage Worlds actually was one of the easiest traditional games, youths could get into.

I also wanted to start the group off in a fantasy world - I could have made my own, but that is one extra time consuming project I can't afford atm (sadly) - so then I decided for Hellfrost.

What I am pondering about is which region to set them off in - which of the region is a bit closer to "traditional" adventuring and a bit more "friendly" in tone (it is easy enough to dial up and down on the grit) and a good starting point for totally newbies in a roleplaying world and someone of the mentioned age group
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally most realms in the Hearthlands (south of the Icebarrier) are more traditional and friendly in tone. The further south, the encroaching cold from the north becomes less and less important. It is substituted by the ramifications of the Blizzard War, the Saxan Rebellion, and more recently the Golem Uprising. So any region from Aspiria to the Eastmark will do.

If you are looking for some friendly adventures i quote myself...

Enno wrote:

Adventure N5 is an adventure framework around a beloved religious festival.

Some of the encounters in this book are based upon "peaceful solutions", or could at least be changed, substituted and combined easily to make them fit. Smile

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will read more up on those regions and get those region guides, and look on the two modules Smile
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now we must decipher what "friendly in tone" means. Smile

Enno has gone for "non-violent." Smile Me, I figure it means friendly as in "without too many internal problems, like racism or civil war, or where the environment is going to kill you in seconds." To which I would suggest the Freelands or Heligioland.

And a huge thumbs up to you for running the game for kids in your area!

Angry Ghost

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be the Freelands. The characters can have many varied adventures (whether they are political or more revolved around combat), don't have to worry too much about the cold, and could even band together and forge out their own little town in the end.
kjetilkverndokken

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Freelands looks like a good place to go, and thanks Smile

Now I am hoping this is going too be a success and have it once a week for 2 1/2 3 hours each time Smile

Again, thanks to both Wiggy and Enno.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Very Happy

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjetilkverndokken wrote:
The Freelands looks like a good place to go, and thanks Smile

Now I am hoping this is going too be a success and have it once a week for 2 1/2 3 hours each time Smile

Again, thanks to both Wiggy and Enno.

If you do go with the Freelands, apart from the obvious region guide, you could look at the Supplemental Material Guide, which whilst good in and of itself (many of the places listed could be in the Freelands), it also comes with a 14 page look at the city of Aslov (in the Freelands) as an extra. To me this reads a little like a mini Freeport: The City of Adventure, which is no bad thing at all, and can give you a central hub for the characters to work from if that's your sort of thing. Also, it comes with a city map.

Shameless plug.

Oh, and link http://www.tripleacegames.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_21&products_id=241
kjetilkverndokken

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I got that one Smile So the Freelands were a perfect match in that way Smile
kjetilkverndokken

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually thinking that the group all stay as one type of race/culture. It have been a huge success so far with my taiga Elf campaign.

And maybe center it in the beginning around a smaller Saxa settlement (Saxa, because they are vikings and we are Norwegians, gives it a bit of more national feeling etc Wink ).

Probably gonna use most of Easter vacation on prepping this up Smile
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you a list of the cultural archetypes...

Saxa are your Anglosaxons/Viking/Germans.
Anari are your Normans/Franks.
Finnar are your Saami/Finns.
Tuomi are your Celts/Welsh/Picts.

Your idea about "cultural" game sounds great. Playing the typical adventurer could be fun, as i experienced in RuneQuest/HeroQuest and Pendragon back in the days, a more cultural based game could be more fulfilling.

I'm currently fiddling around with developing such an adventure myself, based in the Battlelands.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: