Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Jade Empire

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McCurmudgeon

No Cards!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: The Jade Empire Reply with quote

So I know any source material is a ways off for the Jade Empire, but like Al Qadim is similar to Land of Fire does anyone know of anything that would be similar to a Jade Empire location. Even just fiction would be great
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look into the Gazetteer and the Region Guide for some links to the Land of Water.

The Jade Empire seems to be heavily inclined to mythical China, with a smattering of other far eastern cultures - mythical and historical.

There are some RPGs settings that may work as inspiration for LoW like L5R, Qin - The Warring States RPG, Dan Bayn's Wushu RPG, D&Ds Oriental Adventures, Third Eye Games Wu Xing, RuneQuests Kralorela, Conans Khitai, Gurps China, etc etc, but as we know Wiggy, he will write about a Far Eastern themed Empire that is known to us, but has so many twists and surprises, that it will stand for its own.

If you look for more inspiration read the Judge Dee books or some Wuxia novels. Watch the stories about the Rebels of Liang Shan Po. The Chinese Ghost Story films will come handy, as do some Jet Li flicks like Hero and any other "classic" Easterns you can get your hands on.

If, how and when the Land of Water sees the the light of day waits to be seen... at least 3-4 years if you take Wiggys estimations from the past.

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at Reality Blurs' Iron Dynasty setting. You'd probably want to ignore the guns and steampunk elements, but it is written for Savage Worlds.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyote6 wrote:
You could also look at Reality Blurs' Iron Dynasty setting. You'd probably want to ignore the guns and steampunk elements, but it is written for Savage Worlds.

How could i forget Reality Blurs Iron Dynasty. Doh! Embarassed

BTW the first firelances (huo qiang) or firetubes (huo tong) were introduced in the mid 9th century. These ancestors of rifles and cannons were not very accurate or deadly, but had some tactical value (obscurement and shock).

Until the 10th century the bamboo and paper is slowly replaced by hardwood or even metal, while the blackpowder gets more and more "optimized" regarding their nitrate level (= explosiveness).

While firearms are still exotic weapons, flares and bombs are not. They were introduced a century earlier.

I don't know how Wiggy envisioned the Dragon Empire, but simple blackpowder weaponry might have its place in this setting, despite the power of magic.

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Jade Empire Reply with quote

McCurmudgeon wrote:
So I know any source material is a ways off for the Jade Empire, but like Al Qadim is similar to Land of Fire does anyone know of anything that would be similar to a Jade Empire location. Even just fiction would be great

TSR's Horde trilogy (especially Book 2) is worth a read. Old book, and usually very cheap on Ebay.

Inferno!

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Jade Empire Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
TSR's Horde trilogy (especially Book 2) is worth a read. Old book, and usually very cheap on Ebay.

Until recently, it was available as a free download from the wotc site. Now that wotc is selling pdfs again, it'll probably show up on rpgnow soon.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the print set for Christmas. Haven't actually gotten round to reading them yet, mind you. Smile

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Jade Empire Reply with quote

Inferno! wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote:

Until recently, it was available as a free download from the wotc site. Now that wotc is selling pdfs again, it'll probably show up on rpgnow soon.

WaybackMachine?! I don't provide a link, as it might be not entirely legal in your part of the world.

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always partial to the "Tales of the Otori" books by Lian Hearn. The first one is called "Across the Nightingale Floor."

Films? Seven Samari, Yojimbo, Sanjiro. I love House of Flying Daggers.

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throne of Blood!

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Throne of Blood!

Aah! MacBeth en japonais.

Kurosawa is one of my most beloved directors. Always recommendable! Smile

No Cards!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks so much for all these wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to look into them.

Yojimbo has actually been on my movie watch list for a while so I think I'll watch it tonight then since it was suggested
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: