Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hellfrost Orcs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murgh Bpurn

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Hellfrost Orcs Reply with quote

Anyone found any good Orcs for use in Hellfrost? As most tend to have lots of bare flesh showing.

The Mordor Orcs from Games Workshop are well dressed for winter, but don't quite have the right look. A few of the Ral Partha Orcz appeared to be reasonably dressed as well.
Stephen Peto

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murgh,

My orcs are these guys from Black Tree Design

http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/home.php?cat=2375

They are nice and chunky, and fit well with other 28mm figures, and are reasonably priced.

You might also want to check out the Dwarf Wars range from West Wind miniatures. I've been buying the Nordvolk to use as humans in Hellfrost, which are just perfect for this setting. But they also have Orcs and the usual fantasy races.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_8

And for the humans

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_16

Again, these are very good value for money.

One figure about those Ral Partha miniatures is that they are tiny compared to modern 28mm miniatures. I don't have the orcs but I do have some elves, which are more of a 25mm scale.

Rackham used to do some parka wearing orcs, but I don't know if these are still available.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers
Stephen Peto
Stephen Peto

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot to include the link to the Colonel Marbles Miniatures pages, which are a great resource, for miniatures.

The orcs are here

http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/orcs/orcs1/orcs1.htm

and the main page is here

http://marbles.frothersunite.com/

Happy hunting

Cheers
Stephen Peto
Dragon Snack

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: Buttons pushed!!! Rant on!

I have to openly question the validity of that page as a "resource".

Did I miss his listing of GW Orcs/Orks? Col. Marble totally ignores WotC Orcs (ChainMail, older D&D, and prepainted DDM) as well, while including other discontinued (and prepainted, and plastic) lines. I could forgive missing smaller manufacturers, but not two of the biggest. WizKids probably should have gotten a mention (since he also includes other defunct companies), I'm sure they had some Orcs in MK.

I see he isn't a fan of Reaper either (full disclosure: I am). One (dismissive) paragraph with 2 pictures of older sculpts? He's also not very accurate, Reaper does have an Orc faction in Warlord (so some are designed for wargaming, in fact one of his pictures is of Orcs from the game!) and you can search their 'shop' for Orcs (and you've been able to for a while, but that ignores the question of why this is only a drawback for Reaper figures). I think he would have been better off to leave them off the list like he did GW and WotC...

In short, that list is glaringly incomplete and filled with personal bias, major shortcomings if it is to have any use as a resource. Some of the manufacturers have some pretty detailed reviews, but it has too many deficiencies to be a starting point in a search for Orcs. It needs to be cleaned up and each manufacturer given a fair (and equal) treatment. Give the facts and let the people decide.

To be fair myself, that may not have been Col Marbles intent for the list, but if it is to be used as such, it needs improvement.

Murgh Bpurn wrote:
Anyone found any good Orcs for use in Hellfrost? As most tend to have lots of bare flesh showing.

I'll suggest looking for some Chronopia Orcs (Chronopia had a ton of buzz so it stands out as another glaring omission on Col Marbles page, although Excelsior is listed - as an afterthought - with no mention of it...sorry, sometimes those buttons stick). They don't have a lot of flesh showing so even though they have a more middle eastern influence, if you paint them right they shouldn't look out of place in a colder climate.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use WotC plastic pre-painted orcs, carefully selected on Ebay. I can't paint, and I sure can't afford scores of metal minis. They do show a lot of flesh, but at the end of the day I use them as a visual aid rather than an exact likeness. We've probably all done the "this figure is actually something else" routine. Smile

Still, if anyone finds any winter-dressed orcs, be sure to mention it. Smile

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green stuff... makes great fur... Very Happy
Murgh Bpurn

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I'd been looking at some of them. Ideally I'm looking at 28mm rather than 25mm.

Reaper I believe is 25mm however it does have some good ones:

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are rather nice figures.

What about Savage orcs from GW. I had a pile and they were pretty much covered in skins and the like. They are more for the 28mm than 25's
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Steve wrote:

I have to second this. It's one of the easier things to create with green putty as special touches for figures. MagicSculp (my favorite miniatures-modifying material) can be used for similar purposes, but "the green stuff" works better for free-flowing cloaks; MagicSculp is cheaper, and gives me a texture I like better for "fur" and "hair" and "feathers" and such, but it requires a more solid anchor point, so it doesn't work quite as well for making "capes blowing in the wind" without some sort of support underneath.

Another thing is to check up with local Games Workshop miniatures gamers to see if they have any spare "bitz" available for sale or trade. I've acquired quite a few "fur cloak" pieces from assorted plastic sets. (I used most of them to decorate a bunch of "Frozen North" ghost vikings for my Pirates RPG campaign.)
Murgh Bpurn

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Steve wrote:
They are rather nice figures.

What about Savage orcs from GW. I had a pile and they were pretty much covered in skins and the like. They are more for the 28mm than 25's

A bit too cartoony for my tastes, and although there are some with fur they still have a lot of bare skin.

Jordan Peacock wrote:
TAG Steve wrote:

I have to second this. It's one of the easier things to create with green putty as special touches for figures. MagicSculp (my favorite miniatures-modifying material) can be used for similar purposes, but "the green stuff" works better for free-flowing cloaks; MagicSculp is cheaper, and gives me a texture I like better for "fur" and "hair" and "feathers" and such, but it requires a more solid anchor point, so it doesn't work quite as well for making "capes blowing in the wind" without some sort of support underneath.

Another thing is to check up with local Games Workshop miniatures gamers to see if they have any spare "bitz" available for sale or trade. I've acquired quite a few "fur cloak" pieces from assorted plastic sets. (I used most of them to decorate a bunch of "Frozen North" ghost vikings for my Pirates RPG campaign.)

Ahhh, I wondered what the "green stuff" was, maybe i'll give it a go! Smile
C.A.Pryde

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rocking the old-school plastic orcs from my 90s-vintage "Hero Quest" board game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: