Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Budapest Question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadd4d

Deuce

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: New Budapest Question Reply with quote

Well, I'm looking in my Necropolis book at the description of New Budapest, how it's a city that radiates from an island, as I'm thinking about some type of prop in which you see sort of a battle map, a la the army, depicting the battles in and around New Budapest. My problem is what city to use, possibly from the real world.

My best choice, actually, is Paris, France, based on how everything radiates out from Ile de Cite. My other choice was likely Vienna, Austria, based on the Donauinsel in the "center" of the city.

I was wondering if there were any other cities one could think of; the ones I've listed are places I've actually been, and the best choices, in my opinion.

But I'm open to other suggestions.

Don
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Paris and Vienna have rather small islands though, Vienna's only being a recreational area too.

Have you considered New York with Manhattan island? Might be too large, but still...

Prague? Doesn't have an island but a rather large "bend" in the river. Cut through that in the east and you have an island.

Looking around on google maps: Hamburg or Lübeck might be your best bet. Both have rather large islands in the center.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly New Budapet isn't based on any real city, so I can't offer any insider tips. What about using Budapest, though? It has a small island, IIRC.

shadd4d

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derfinsterling wrote:
Prague? Doesn't have an island but a rather large "bend" in the river. Cut through that in the east and you have an island.

I was looking for something natural, but I think I'm going to have to go with Prague; there's the cut you could make through the east along the highway and a few streets that would make it a central island surrounded by city.

My problem with Hamburg, or Dublin or others for that matter was the presence of the sea next to them...but I think with a little work, Prague would probably be best.

Don
C.A.Pryde

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this helps much, given your earlier mention of it, but I used Google maps of Paris for my campaign. I always went with satellite photos and smaller portions of the city, though, which tended to disguise the fact the differences between the real versus the imagined locations.

Humorously, my players recognized the city.

"So the plan is to fight through here and recapture the Chapel of the Holy Flame . . ."

"Isn't that Notre Dame?"

"No. It's the Chapel of the Holy Flame."

"Looks an awful lot like Notre Dame to me."
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
My problem with Hamburg, or Dublin or others for that matter was the presence of the sea next to them...Don

Take another look at this link:
Lübeck

Yes, it's near the sea, but on this particular zoom level you can't see the sea... Wink
ARCONTE

Three

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

What about México City? Wasn't the original founded on an island too?

ARK
shadd4d

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derfinsterling wrote:
shadd4d wrote:
My problem with Hamburg, or Dublin or others for that matter was the presence of the sea next to them...Don

Take another look at this link:
Lübeck

Yes, it's near the sea, but on this particular zoom level you can't see the sea... Wink

Well, I think we have a winner. It does fit and even zooming out one level doesn't quite give away the ocean. I haven't visited Lübeck, but I think it does fit for a depiction of New Budapest.

ARCONTE: looking at Mexico City, I don't see the sort of island center on the city, at least when I'm looking at the satellite view...at least not as compared to Lübeck. I'd agree with Markus that on that magnification, Lübeck looks like it would fit.

Don
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
ARCONTE: looking at Mexico City, I don't see the sort of island center on the city, at least when I'm looking at the satellite view...at least not as compared to Lübeck. I'd agree with Markus that on that magnification, Lübeck looks like it would fit.

I think the lake has long since been filled (naturally or otherwise I don't recall), but the original city was indeed on a lake.

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the lake was filled in and Mexico city built on it. Which is why Earthquakes are so devastating there. the ground isnt solid... some of the Chimpana's are still there outside the city.

Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: