Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dice Age
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Dice Age Reply with quote

While reading Tommy Brownell's blog I discovered post entitled "My Dice Are Older Than You." That got me thinking, how old are the oldest dice you still use regularly? No prizes -- this is idle curiosity Smile

My d20, d12, and d8 date from 1983 (28 years old), and were part of the first dice set I ever bought. The d20 and d12 aren't used much in our SW games, but they come to the table every week in the vain hope they'll be needed. They're all rounded at the corners from nearly 30 years of hard use, and they're not biased for or against me. I only ever bring those examples of the die type to the table, so they never getted swapped out if they're having an off day.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use a d4, d8 and d20 from my 1st Edition Gamma World Box, which i bought 1981.

And in one of my drawers is the complete set of six-sided (smallish) dice, that came with my black Traveller RPG box, which i bought 1982.

Four

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the red plastic d12 that came with the Red Box Basic D&D from 1984. The crayon has mostly gone and the die is more spherical than it should be so it doesn't get used any one but I keep it for sentimental reasons Smile

The oldest I still use is probably the transparent green d20. I can't remember when I got it, but it was definitely in the '80s. It's actually looking pretty good for its age Smile

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gone back to regular gaming with a new group in D&D 4e. So I pulled out my original dice from when I first started with the basic box set in ~1980. Amazingly, they still work after all of these years Laughing
Runeslinger

Three

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest dice, a set of red crystal dice with uncoloured numbers, also date back to 1983. They were my only set of polyhedral dice until 1988 when I went on a dice buying quest with a group of friends and nearly died on the highway at 120kph in a car designed for a top speed closer to 6...

I felt for years like my red crystal dice resented the translucent smoke -high impact - dice I bought that day.

I still have both sets and even though that was more than two decades ago, they still don't talk to each other.
steelbrok

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:

And in one of my drawers is the complete set of six-sided (smallish) dice, that came with my black Traveller RPG box, which i bought 1982.

Me too!
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
Me too!

mín brōþor! Very Happy

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest are a single d6 survived from italian D&D red box and 3d6+1d20 from italian Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) both from 1985.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaltorak wrote:
... from italian Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) both from 1985.

:off topic

They published that in italian too? Shocked

For the uninitiated, DSA was also known as "Realms of Arkania", and it still is the D&D of the german-speaking countries.

BTW, did you know that they made a motion picture, that comes out in 2012?
Looking at the long teaser, it seems to me a decent production, with all the DSA-typical tawdry elements. Razz

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
kaltorak wrote:

Yep, they did. And I must honestly say that in 1985 DSA was better than D&D. More playable, more polished and better supported, at least in Italy.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaltorak wrote:
Enno wrote:
kaltorak wrote:

Yep, they did. And I must honestly say that in 1985 DSA was better than D&D. More playable, more polished and better supported, at least in Italy.

*Sigh* The good old first edition with its GM mask and other goodies!
No comparison to the bloated and overloaded behemoth it had become...

But back to the topic! Very Happy

Four

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just come across this post. I tend to use different dice sets for different games and settings. I have some great Q-Workshop dice for use with any Cthulhu based games; I've got all the Savage Worlds sets; Ubiquity dice for HEX and AFO; FUDGE dice for Dresden Files; special sets for Star Wars Saga et al.

The reason I mention this is because I also have a set put aside for any d20 settings (mainly 3.5) which I have been using for 28 years. Admittedly a few d6s have snuck in but all the others (d4, d8, d10s, d12, d20s and d30) are the originals. I love those dice and they've been carefully kept in a special leather pouch (originally from a travel shoe cleaning kit) and they are my most "senior" dice and have precedence and preferential treatment over all my other dice Wink

I also have my original Traveller d6s and my original D&D Basic Set of dice (mine were yellow in colour). The D&D dice are looking pretty tatty (they were the old style dice in which the plastic would chip away) and are kept in the original box. I've also still got my original Call of Cthulhu dice which are in the original box.

Damn - we are all such nerds Rolling Eyes

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
Damn - we are all such nerds Rolling Eyes

Darn old nerds! Laughing

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have these oddly mismatched dice that came in the original Call of Cthulhu box. I bought that in 1981 I think. There was a d20 that ran from 0-9 twice and you were supposed to roll it twice for percentile dice. That old thing is almost spherical now.
dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDSampo wrote:
I still have these oddly mismatched dice that came in the original Call of Cthulhu box. I bought that in 1981 I think. There was a d20 that ran from 0-9 twice and you were supposed to roll it twice for percentile dice. That old thing is almost spherical now.

I love those 20-sided d10s. Can't seem to find them very often now Sad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: