Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top three adventures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Top three adventures Reply with quote

What are yours? Maybe you enjoyed playing in them or running them. Maybe they were your first ever RPG experience. Perhaps they have an outstanding plot. Mine are:

* I6 Ravenloft. A damn fine adventure, and the start of a great setting.

* N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God. First adventure I ever bought. A mix of investigation and dungeon crawling, it was the model for several Hellfrost adventures.

* I3-I5 The Desert of Desolation compendium. An epic desert mini-campaign.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really difficult, after all these years...

D&D B1: The Keep on the Borderlands
The Classic, not one of the reprints. One of the first published adventures i played. Is still used in some form in our Vanilla Fantasy Setting for Savage Worlds.

RuneQuest III: Apple Lane
My entry to Glorantha. Still love grim Duck warriors! Smile

Traveller Classic Adventure 11: Murder on Arcturus Station
A still fresh "murder mystery", that is especially exciting if one of the players is the culprit.

Four

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadows Over Bögenhafen/Death on the Reik: Warhammer Fantasy Role Play (1st Edition)
Yes, that's two and they're more campaign entries than adventures, but some of my favourite gaming moments have come from the two times I've run them.

The Doom Markers: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition)
Not a published scenario, but one written by Seany Connor (whom I'm fairly certain Wiggy knows Wink) for the relaunch of the UK's Living City spin-off, Sarbreenar. The scenario was written to last 4 hours but some 8 hours after beginning we were still going. A great introduction, written (and run) by a great guy.

The Governor's Prize: Skull & Bones (d20 System)
Another cheat in that it's a series of four adventures. Although written for the d20 System, I've actually only run it using Pirates of the Spanish Main (and, indeed, will be doing so again in the New Year with my current group). It's almost the perfect follow-on from the introductory scenario in the Pirates of the Spanish Main book and gives the PCs something to do now they have their own ship.

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpmcalister wrote:
Not a published scenario, but one written by Seany Connor (whom I'm fairly certain Wiggy knows Wink)

I do. Haven't spoken to Seany in years. Last time must have been at a small convention Mark Smith ran down in Cornwall, and that is going back a good six years, if not more. I forget the name of it, but it must have taken place around Halloween, as there was apple bobbing as part of the "quiz" night. I spent the con running nothing but d20 Weird Wars on the Eastern Front for about 8 players.

Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B1: The Keep on the Borderlands is number one for me - it lead to many adventures in Mystara for me, and was my first foray into RPGs.

The Enemy Within Campaign comes in at number 2. Ok, so it's not a single adventure .. and "Mistaken Identity" is the part I've played through the most times, but it's a great campaign, if run well (which hopefully I'm doing for my fiancee and best man at the moment!)

The Lurker at the Threshold a Call of Cthulhu scenario. It introduced me to the idea of Horror in roleplay, and the concept of character 'failure' being a GOOD thing for the experience of playing the game. An Important lesson, in my book.
dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
dpmcalister wrote:
Not a published scenario, but one written by Seany Connor (whom I'm fairly certain Wiggy knows Wink)

I do. Haven't spoken to Seany in years. Last time must have been at a small convention Mark Smith ran down in Cornwall, and that is going back a good six years, if not more. I forget the name of it, but it must have taken place around Halloween, as there was apple bobbing as part of the "quiz" night. I spent the con running nothing but d20 Weird Wars on the Eastern Front for about 8 players.

That sounds like Xcaliber 2 run at Brean Sands. At least, that's the only convention that I can recall run at that time of year by Mark in that, rough, time-frame Smile I was there too - as part of the Sarbreenar team Wink

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xcaliber definitely rings a bell. Not sure whether it was X1 or X2. I have a feeling it was the first year it was run.

The GIT!

Four

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Curse of Chaugnar Faugn from Chaosium's Curse of the Cthonians.

2) Rippers Plot Point campaign (not finished yet)

2) James Bond 007 RPG adventure missions by Victory Games

I have a problem selecting one adventure over another except the Curse of Chaugnar Faugn was a particularly awesome adventure. I ran it for my groups in England and Canada and each time was really exciting. The one in Canada almost resulted in a TPK.

The Rippers campaign has been a lot of fun for my present group. The campaign is on a short hiatus while we play AFO but we'll return to it soon enough and I know the players will look forward to completing the campaign.

The James Bond RPG is still one of my favourite games and pulls off the James Bond movie feel very well. I can't select a single adventure because they all have a nice twist on the movies but, if pushed, the Octopussy mission had some fine moments in it.

edit: I meant to add in the original Ravenloft setting as well. I played in some awesome adventures involving Aazalin the liche and Strahd von Zarovich the vampire; great setting!

Last edited by The GIT! on Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
wmarshal

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:
B1: The Keep on the Borderlands is number one for me - it lead to many adventures in Mystara for me, and was my first foray into RPGs.

My intent is not to nitpick, but to get clarification. Module B1 is In Search of the Unknown. Module B2 is Keep on the Borderlands.

My favorites are:
B2 Keep on the Borderlands: Partly nostalgia, but I also like the fact that there are plenty of opportunities described for a party to loot some of the residents of the Keep if they are so inclined.

U1 to U3: The Saltmarsh series. I like unlikely allies the party should make common cause with, and having more than one adventure module to be run for the same community.

Universal Brotherhood (Shadowrun): I liked the idea of the players discovering that an organization with a public persona of doing charitable works is actually one of the most vile enemies that they will ever encounter.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmarshal wrote:
Tavis wrote:

My intent is not to nitpick, but to get clarification. Module B1 is In Search of the Unknown. Module B2 is Keep on the Borderlands.

My favorites are:
B2 Keep on the Borderlands: Partly nostalgia, but I also like the fact that there are plenty of opportunities described for a party to loot some of the residents of the Keep if they are so inclined.

Typo by me.

Very embarressing, since i looked up the adventure to verify, if it was B1 or B2... Embarassed

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order:

AD&D A1-A4: Slavers Series The series was tough enough but our DM was truly evil. Very memorable experience.

Raid on Innsmouth: Actually played this recently as a Realms of Cthulhu conversion. The pace is frenetic and the quickly shifting scenes makes for a very memorable finale to a campaign.

Tegel Manor: an old Judges Guild romp. It was really just a giant dungeon crawl that we played through in 1980(?). But my "more mature" friends still talk about it to this day.

Good times...
Inferno!

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T1 Village of Hommlet - This module got so much use, I bought a second copy because the first one fell apart.

B2 Keep of the Borderlands - Mostly from nostalgia. The first character I ever made was killed by the owlbear.

Legion of Gold (Gamma World) - Used this many times. My only long running Gamma World campaign ended when a PC used a Mk V Blaster to blast a hole in an undersea corridor of the android base and drown the entire party.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inferno! wrote:
T1 Village of Hommlet - This module got so much use, I bought a second copy because the first one fell apart.

A classic! Our party ended up with so much cash we built a house in Hommlet to avoid paying tax.

Inferno!

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Inferno! wrote:

A classic! Our party ended up with so much cash we built a house in Hommlet to avoid paying tax.

It's a shame the follow-up Temple of Elemental Evil didn't live up to expectations. Of course, after waiting years for it, the expectations were so high, I don't know if anything would have been truly satisfying.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmarshal wrote:

We played in B1 twice a week for three years. Ah, they were the days of retreating from the dungeon at the end of every session. Actually, I saw "we," but I quit being a player and became a GM. I'd only run three characters before becoming a screen monkey.

Argos Argonshire, a dwarf fighter (18/96 Strength -- rolled with witnesses -- and ONE hit point). Slain by a skeleton.
Wrath Argonshire, a dwarf fighter, and brother of the above. Slain by an ogre.
Kami Kazi, female fighter. Miscarried the monk's baby after being paralyzed by a carrion crawler (we had our female math's teacher as GM). Not sure what happened to her -- she may have retired.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Off-Topic Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: