Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swearing in Game! (Latin Style)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Swearing in Game! (Latin Style) Reply with quote

One thing I loved about Serenity was the swearing in Mandarin. It added a really interesting dimension while avoiding the sensors. This is the kind of unique flavor I've been looking for in my campaign. According PP 10 "All citizens in the Church's Dominion receive schooling in Latin."

I've told players that using profanity in Latin is acceptable and not necessarily punishment worthy as none of it is against God or takes the 'Lord's' name in vain. Latin profanity revolves around, sex, genitals and bodily functions. If anyone calls them on swearing they simple can reply, "Practicing my Latin, Padre." Often this excused given the high-stress military context of a situation.

So far it's adding a lot of character. Latin Profanity: http://bit.ly/hNtuc
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swearing is a sin, no matter which language.

Necropolis 2350 p7: "Knights found guilty of a crime are given one of three punishments, as best suits the offense. Flogging (anywhere from 5–500 lashes) is reserved for minor crimes, such as swearing, speaking at mealtime, missing prayers, disobedience, and so on."
"The terms “crime” and “sin” mean the same thing within the Sacri Ordines, and indeed the Church as a whole."

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Enno,

Thanks for your insight. It's nice to know someone is also passionate about the game and knows it so well. Though, you misunderstand. I am not asking a question, I'm offering a suggestion.

The above is a simplification of how it works in the setting. This also something my players found jarring; to not to be able to react realistically in high~tension situations. I concurr with them on this point.

Also, I have to apologize as I did not differentate between swearing and cursing. While both words are often used interchangeably they do not mean the same thing. I'm drawing the conclusion 'cursing' is actually meant as it is the only one of the two against God. The defintion of a sin is not provided on page 7. A sin is something that seperates one from God or the divine. Cursing is an example of this but swearing and other profanities are not.

Also on page 7 it says 'found.' This a choice for the Senior and Chaplain to decide. If they feel the situation isn't worth punishing they can 'choose' not to have 'found' the knights guilty. Though 'heavy' reccommendation to due penance and confession maybe made. This tension and conflict for the players and hightens the drama. Were a simple flogging doesn't.

The preference for latin swearing over English is more a matter of presentation, and the perceived crudity of the common english swear words and the blending of both cursing and swearing in English. The latin also leaves more plausibilty for the Senior Knight and Padre to overlook it. Afterall, the churches message is one of salvation and forgiveness not trivaility and cruelty. If this is not the case then the Raphaim have won regardless

(Also the content of the bible doesnt speak specifically against swearing it speak about taking Gods name in vain which is a specific type of cursing. Also Latin is not the original translated language of the Bible it stems from the coinee greek ergo the profane words coming after would not be refernced contextually in a proper translation from histrotical deconstruction)
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Firefly and its chinese profanities. Wink

Despite my last posting, i see it as a nice little "detail", even if i don't see, why one should curse just in latin, as Salus knows many languages. Especially if you know a smatter of many languages, you use swear words from all of them, depending on the situation. Some profanities just sound better in a different language.

Yes, cursing and swearing have slightly different meanings, but in this case they ARE populary understood interchangeably. As Knights have a exemplary function, they have to abjure many things, even swearing and cursing in all its meanings. It's part of their church indoctrination aka basic training. But as humans they are sinners, and i just wanted to give a cue that Knights are walking a fine line here - as always.

Knights can do many things, they just mustn't get caught.

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, said.

There's wiggle room and I'm interested to see how the world evolves around the nuisance of the characters. This has been one of most engaging conversation I've had in awhile.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: