Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Hellfrost
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: New to Hellfrost Reply with quote

Hello

I'm thinking of purchasing Hellfrost but not if there are plans to update or bring out a new edition any time soon. Are there any?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hub,

Welcome to the forums.

No, there are no plans to update Hellfrost in the near future, and even if a new printing did occur, it would only fix the errata and include the SWD tweaks. We have a free update explaining how the new SW Deluxe rules work with the rules.

This sticky explains the various products and what they do for the game.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Smile

There are currently no plans to publish a new edition AFAIK.

There is simply no reason to, as the setting slowly expands to the south and then the east eventually.

Some formerly PDFs may or will be published in dead tree form, as you see currently in the adventure compendiums.

As for a update, Hellfrost is an open setting in the making. Every new publication shows us another interesting facet of this heroic setting, yet the "final version" of Hellfrost is created by you and your players at the table.

The only update you have to worry about, is the update of the Savage Worlds core rules. And that point was taken care off here...

Be reassured, that you can invest your money in the Hellfrost line. Believe me, it will give you enjoyment and adventures for years to come. For any questions, suggestions, and stories you are invited to contribute to our little roundtable here.

Have fun with Hellfrost! Very Happy

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news

Thanks both Smile
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about Hellfrost, the cooler it sounds.

I didn't even realise it was low fantasy and/or magic. Parts of it remind me of Warhammer. Always a good thing in my book.

Is there a webpage that covers the adventures available?
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
The more I read about Hellfrost, the cooler it sounds.

I didn't even realise it was low fantasy and/or magic. Parts of it remind me of Warhammer. Always a good thing in my book.

Is there a webpage that covers the adventures available?

No, it's heroic fantasy with powerful magic, yet it's slowly fading and failing.

For the description of the adventures you have to search the forum, as they were most often discussed when published or some kind of problem arose. There is one thread for the adventures location though.

For any pitch and teaser texts you have to go to the Hellfrost product page. There you find the available freebies, too. Wink

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right. What with all the talk about viking inspiration, optional rules for cold effects on gear etc, I thought it was low fantasy.

Absolutely no worries though

Thanks for the advice
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
Oh right. What with all the talk about viking inspiration, optional rules for cold effects on gear etc, I thought it was low fantasy.

Absolutely no worries though

Thanks for the advice

Magic items are extremely rare -- this is nothing like D&D. I think in the 20 adventures written (18 published) there are maybe 4 or 5 handed out, and most of those are very minor. Spellcasters are powerful, though mages suffer if they get too carried away. Clerics have less problems, though they risk committing sins (and thus losing their powers for a time) and may be called upon to perform favors for their cult.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:

Magic items are extremely rare -- this is nothing like D&D. I think in the 20 adventures written (18 published) there are maybe 4 or 5 handed out, and most of those are very minor.

Spellcasters are powerful, though mages suffer the Siphoning if they get too carried away. Clerics have less problems, though they risk committing sins (and thus losing their powers for a time) and may be called upon to perform favors for their cult.

In the end, it's as high or low fantasy as you want. Smile Ban most spellcasters (banning them all causes problems, since one realm is ruled by them), and you have a very low magic setting.

One last thing -- reading through the books you'll notice there are some big issues left unresolved. When will the Liche Priest return and what causes the Siphoning are two of major ones. TAG isn't going to reveal any deep secrets about these -- the great mysteries are yours to play with, and you can do what you want with them without fear of being contradicted in any official supplement.

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe this Hellfrost flew under my radar

Top drawer quality stuff here

Congrats!
DVeight

Three

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same!! Smile

I am very grateful to one of our friends who had us take a look at this game system and setting. We have been DnD fanatics since our teens but 4thEd just killed it. I got our group into Star Wars Saga Edition and GM'ed for a couple of years. That was lots of fun and a good system but with a new born in my arms, it became difficult to organise for the sessions.

Then our friend who used to GM before me, got a couple of us to read the SWD book and consider the Hellfrost setting. After reading the Hellfrost Players book, with its flavour and 'fluff' I became hooked and after playing we became addicted. Smile

We started playing in January 2011, this will be our second year and everyone is keen as mustard to resume our gaming sessions after the Xmas, New Years break. We return to Hellfrost this Friday. Smile

If your up for a mature gaming system set in a very mature and gritty world that is Hellfrost, you will have a ball.
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Very mature' and 'gritty' definitely does it for me.

Are there differing cultures in Rassilon, or is it basically one type? For example, you may have an impereial roman type in the west, a greek type in the east, and an african type in the south.

Thanks
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
Are there differing cultures in Rassilon, or is it basically one type? For example, you may have an impereial roman type in the west, a greek type in the east, and an african type in the south.

The Anari are essentially based on the Normans, the Tuomi on Celts, the Finnar on the Saami, and the Saxa on Vikings/Saxons. Elves, dwarves, and engros are what they are.

These are more ethnic types, rather than cultures, though. A Midmark Saxa has a different culture to a Northmark Saxa, and a Magocratic Anari peasant has little in common with a Chalcian one (beside being poor). The main books didn't allow much space to define the differences, so that's covered in the various Region Guides. often the differences are subtle, but they are noticeable.

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff

Thank you
RevTurkey

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your game Hub. Hellfrost is a great setting and should you need any, the published adventures are terrific, my group are loving them...highly recommended Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: