Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Hellfrost
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back!

Had an issue with the Savage Worlds rules about a year ago so I dropped it all. Now I've come to appreciate what SW is trying to do, and I understand the reason for certain rules now.

Anyways, so happy to back in with this brilliant setting!

EDIT: What's the best map for me to print out for our group?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Hub!

This map is the best for printing out for players... http://www.tripleacegames.com/Downloads/HellFrost/map_of_rassilon.pdf

This one shows the division between the Hearthlands, Low Winterlands, and High Winterlands. Also includes the Region Guide numbers should you be thinking of investing in any... http://tripleacegames.com/Downloads/HellFrost/Hellfrost_Region_Guides.jpg

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you receive all the edges and hindrances in the Race section for free, no balancing or juggling the points?

Also, after listing the obligatory edges, I’ve come to chosen one edge (as per the default rules for taking major and minor hindrances), but the only space to write it in, has a 5 next to it. Is this the number of advances I’ve received? Trouble is, I haven’t received any as of yet.

How do you write it up?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
Do you receive all the edges and hindrances in the Race section for free, no balancing or juggling the points?

Correct. Those you get for free with no juggling or balancing. A fixed package, if you like, for your chosen race.

Quote:
Also, after listing the obligatory edges, I’ve come to chosen one edge (as per the default rules for taking major and minor hindrances), but the only space to write it in, has a 5 next to it. Is this the number of advances I’ve received? Trouble is, I haven’t received any as of yet.

How do you write it up?

Small writing. Smile It goes in the Edges section, but not in the 5 entry. The 5 entry is for how you spend you first advancement when you hit 5 XPs. If you're not playing a spellcaster, you can overflow into the Spells section for extra Edges.

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was that

Thank you for confirming
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 35
Maerathril weapons, on the other hand, automatically “cast” dispel every time they strike a foe with a spell cast on him.

What exactly does this mean? Is it saying (for example), if the high wizard had an armour protection spell on him, there's a chance it will be negated?

And

The arcane skill of the weapon is equivalent to its full damage die

Arcane skill?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
Page 35
Maerathril weapons, on the other hand, automatically “cast” dispel every time they strike a foe with a spell cast on him.

What exactly does this mean? Is it saying (for example), if the high wizard had an armour protection spell on him, there's a chance it will be negated?

Yep.

Quote:

The arcane skill of the weapon is equivalent to its full damage die
Arcane skill?

Arcane skill = any skill used to cast spells. In Hellfrost that means Druidism, Elementalism, Faith, Heahwisardry, etc. are all arcane skills. In the case of maerathril weapons, it's a generic arcane skill rather than a specific named one.

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
-------------------------------
I'm getting a Skyrim vibe from Hellfrost - that's got to be a plus in my book

In fact, I'm going to start a new Skyrim game on my pc now
Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 57 Runes

I'm not sure about Runes and how to use them.

For instance, on page 57 it says; 'Rune mages can take the New Power Edge'

What's the New Power Edge?

And on the same page it says; 'To learn the Combine Spell Edge, a mage needs a d10 in a single rune skill'

Is a single rune skill Armour-Rune, or is it one of the three skills armour, bladebreaker, or weapon immunity?

Thanks
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub wrote:
Page 57 Runes

I'm not sure about Runes and how to use them.

For instance, on page 57 it says; 'Rune mages can take the New Power Edge'

What's the New Power Edge?

Core Savage Worlds Power Edge. Page number varies by edition, but look under Power Edges.

Quote:
And on the same page it says; 'To learn the Combine Spell Edge, a mage needs a d10 in a single rune skill'

Is a single rune skill Armour-Rune, or is it one of the three skills armour, bladebreaker, or weapon immunity?

The first one. The rest of that paragraph gives an example of how this works.

Hub

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that
-------------------------
I heard that one of the quirks of Savage Worlds, is that if a party focuses on the 'big bad' at the end of an adventure (for example), it/he/she can be taken down very quickly.

One work around is to give the big bad some minions to throw at the party, but failing that, is it quick battle, almost an anti climax?
DVeight

Three

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats really dependant on a myriad of factors really. The big bad meanie and how he/she is designed by the GM to account for the exploits to the limitations of the players characters is one aspect to consider. A good idea I find is not to take that big bad NPC as stock standard and written in any adventure material. Take out an edge and replace with something else that can exploit weaknesses. Spells and skills also.

Then things can also come down to how the dice land on the day. That can be a difference between a cake walk and a TPK sometimes.

In the end its always worthwhile to throw in minions (extras) for the adventurers to handle in addition to the big bad NPC. Give them problems to solve by having these minions on the table and make sure to give the terrain its 4th dimension by having obstacles there. Pillars, tables, chairs, beds, stairs, etc. Anything that can be used as cover or intervening terrain that creates additional headaches.

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DVeight

The only problem I have, is whilst the advice is sound, it feels like a 'work around'. The reality is that sometimes there is just that one big bad in a showdown.

Take for example, a dragon that lives within a valley the pcs have to traverse.

Sometimes the big bad is dropped in one, but not all the time. Most of the time its a few rounds of give and take and back and forth. Another example would be the troll in the Lord of the Rings - I think the scene when they are in the mines of Moria. Can you have these drawn out fights in SW?
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Savage Worlds has a few more random factors that come into play (initiative, Jokers, Bennies, exploding dice, choice of edges, hindrances, powers and maneuvres), you have to live with extremes.

Designing a thrilling encounter scene is part experience, part combat rating (see Deluxe rules), and a big chunk of gut feeling.

How this mixture finally works out is in the hands of the gods.

You have to accept the extremes in SW, not the averages like in other games. So, it you repeat the same scene over and over, it may be over in 1 round, or in 177 rounds. You will never know how a scene will work out, once the dice start rolling...

You may "harden" your bosses, but in the end they still follow the same laws - only that they resist a few rounds longer.

Go into the Pinnacle forum and look for Zadmars Combat Simulator. It isn't perfect, but an eye opener what may happen in a conflict.

And yes, it is possible that a cat kills an ancient dragon. That's not a bug, but a feature! Wink

Due to this randomness SW evades the "level-number-challenge" spiral many other RPGs know, where you have to introduce dozens of town guards to face a group of mid or high level PCs. In SW even an old crone with a broom can give legendary hero pause... Wink

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that not all big bads go down quickly, that they can stick around for a few round, but that's mainly down to how the dice land?

On the plus side, yes, pcs have to respect anything they have a fight with, on the negative side, there really isn't anything the GM can do to have that epic climactic battle?

Is there anything outside of Bennies he can do?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: