Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonderland No More MapTool Online - The Princess Alice Pub

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Wonderland No More MapTool Online - The Princess Alice Pub Reply with quote

I've been trying to familiarize myself with the MapTool program on RPTools.net, in order to run an online adventure of Wonderland No More.

Fog of War Test Shot:

I've been using some of RPTroll's framework, particularly his setup of Savage Worlds-specific status markers (for Shaken, etc.) that can show up in the corner of tokens, and be easily switched on/off as desired. He also coded up some handy macros for keeping track of Bennies and die rolls, but I've already coded up a series of MUF programs on a MUCK (and I'm in the progress of coding up a set of the Wonderland No More cards), so I'll likely be handling that on the MUCK along with our primary chat channel, for ease of logging.

For the adventure, I'm reusing a scenario I've run previously for home games and at Necronomicon and Necro Game Day, "Pub Crawl." Unlike the standard "Victoria Campaign" included in Wonderland No More, my own variant campaign starts off in the Real World circa 1888, in London. The heroes are all more-or-less normal humans who share in common that once upon a time, they were childhood friends some twenty-odd years ago with a precocious girl named "Alice." This girl claimed to be THE Alice of Lewis Carroll's popular stories, and she drafted neighborhood children into assorted roles in "plays" she would put together based on "her" adventures.

Fast forward to the present, and her former childhood friends, having gone their separate ways and grown up into mundane, more-or-less respectable adult lives, only now have reason to reunite ... at Alice's funeral. As one might suspect, the campaign takes a little more of a "weird horror" angle than in the core WNM campaign.

So far, it looks like I've got two players lined up -- one taking on the role of a tintype photographer who specializes in "memento mori" and novelty photo-portraiture, the other's role not quite secured yet. (There are a few concepts still bouncing around as of yet, while I try to get a handle on the basics of MapTool.)

My first adventure takes place primarily at a fictitious version of the Princess Alice Pub, located on Commercial Street in London. I couldn't find a floor plan of the actual, historical public house, so I've taken liberties and just based it off of the "pub" map I made for the WNM book, and pretended that Commercial and Wentworth Streets met at a nice, tidy 90-degree intersection (which they don't). Since my players haven't settled upon characters yet, I've used the TokenTool creator to make a few tokens out of some Wonderland characters I've already drawn (and temporarily borrowed some Victorian characters I drew for a free Rippers scenario as placeholders for bystanders), for the purpose of testing out the "fog of war," and property-setting on tokens.

Map Tool Fog of War Test -- Miss Lucky Rabbit's View:

Also, I kind of winged it on filling in textures for the map, and the scale is rather off for several depicted objects (such as the stools, glasses, and dishware), so that'll require some revision.

The learning curve is a bit challenging for me as a GM, but I'm making progress. More importantly, it looks like MapTool provides a pretty smooth interface for the players, once I take the time to set the map up properly. It also helps that I can reuse a lot of the PNG tokens and templates I've already put together for previous online games using Gametable.

I'll post more once I have some more for "show-and-tell." My home PC for whatever reason won't let me take screenshots anymore -- but just tonight I discovered an in-program "screenshot" function that allows me to take snapshots of the map (just not the rest of the interface, or of the information pop-ups).
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on portraits/tokens for the heroes and major NPCs in the "Pub Crawl" adventure. Here are a few examples.

Mr. Achilles "Ace" Johnson, Reporter for the London Times
(Created and played by Conrad Wong.) Achilles is a reporter with a knack for pursuing some of the stranger stories about London, a reputation as being a sharp at cards, and a winning smile for the ladies. Although these are dark times (London circa 1888), he has a sense of humor to break the tension ... though some would term it "gallows humor."

(Note: I had to check to make sure that the idea of a press card tucked into the hat band wasn't anachronistic for 1888, but apparently they've been around since the 1860s or so, at least.)

Mr. Griffin Paisley, Tintype Photographer
(Created and played by P. Osze.) Mr. Paisley inherited the family business as a photographer. Although the family business got its start with "memento mori" photographs (posed photographs of the dead), recent advances in technology have improved the practicality of taking pictures of more lively subjects. All the same, he's just recently been hired to take photographs at a funeral, and he happens to know the recently-deceased. In addition to photography, he has some knowledge of chemistry (from working with the chemicals necessary for his craft), and an interest in the paranormal.

Mr. Henry Madden, London Haberdasher
A former childhood acquaintance of both Mr. Paisley and Mr. Johnson, Henry Madden has inherited the family haberdashery business. Although the days have passed when haberdashers would be going mad due to unsafe handling of mercury, nonetheless Mr. Madden seems to revel in the stereotype.

As for why the portraits, there's a nice feature in MapTool where you can set a "portrait" for a token that appears in the lower-left corner of the screen whenever you mouse-over a particular token. By default, this would just be a larger-resolution version of the token art itself, but you can substitute a designated portrait instead.

I've also been using this for treasure items and such, putting a "token" on the map to represent an item's initial location, and having a "portrait" that appears (some of my "treasure card" artwork) when moused-over. If players double-click it, players can see whatever notes I've attached to the token; I can use this to roughly approximate the "treasure cards" I give out at convention games of Wonderland No More, with an illustration on the side, and abbreviate statistics. Although there's no meaningful way to put a token in your "inventory" that I know of in MapTool, it could provide me with an alternate reference point for a player to look at statistics for an item, and copy them over (to Notepad, Wordpad, etc.) at his or her leisure, for later reference.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: