Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Clockwork WNM Figure Bases

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Custom Clockwork WNM Figure Bases Reply with quote

I've been working on some customized bases for some of my kitbashed minis for Wonderland No More (and other Victorian-era settings), going with a clockwork theme for now -- though later I might go with some checkerboards, mushrooms, etc.

Here are some photos for show 'n' tell so far.

Custom Homemade "Clockworkpunk" Bases - Work in Progress:

Here are examples of some of my work on custom "clockworkpunk" bases, starting with War Cast Studios "blank" 30mm resin bases (AKA "deep dish" bases), Magic Sculpt two-part resin epoxy putty, and pieces of scrap plastic.  The green plastic is from a grocery-store strawberry container that one of the players in my game group gave me.

In the picture above are the 5 30mm bases I have mostly done so far, though I'm still trying to touch up gaps and figure out the best way to handle rivets.  I've used Instant Mold to make temporary press-molds (and copies with Magic Sculpt), so that I can get a better idea of what final casts would look like.  It allowed me to see what I couldn't quite make out on the originals: "super glue" has THICKNESS when it dries, and my problem with some of my rivets was that it was creating a raised area around where I'd glued the rivets down, or even that runoff was filling in some gaps such as between finely-spaced gear teeth.  

I'm still working a few things out here.  The two leftmost bases in the front row are examples of where I've tried a different route to making "rivets."  Instead of taking crumbs of putty and gluing them on, letting it cure and then filing the tops down flat, I've tried applying a "strip" of putty for a frame piece, then smaller "crumbs" of putty as rivets -- then using a flat tool to mash the edges of the "rivet" down into the strip area around it, trying for a small, round rivet, and avoiding the necessity for super glue to hold it in place.  (Also, I think the smaller rivets look and paint up better.)

25mm and 40mm Clockworkpunk Base Work-in-Progress:

I've also been working on a 40mm base (using another War Cast Studios "blank" base as a starting point), and a 25mm "cogwheel" base (using pieces of plastic sprue to make the "teeth").   The cogwheel is still a long way off, since I have to Dremel the whole thing flat on top, and figure out how to do the interior -- but it's 25mm across, and I figure that it could act as a round 25mm base on its own for a smaller base option.

Painted Prototype Castings:

I went ahead and painted some of my "prototype casts" made with temporary Instant Molds and Magic Sculpt press-casting.  Here's a picture of some initial painting (much more washing and drybrushing and touch-up has been applied since then) of some of the casts.  

The top/rear base is meant to be an "Egyptian ruins" themed base that I started working on for a Soda Pop Miniatures "Egyptian Cat Girl" mini that my friend has. As of yet, I haven't thought of any good reason for it to be applicable for adventures in Wonderland. Wink

Reaper "#59009 Mad Scientist (Female)" miniature (Savage Worlds / Deadlands) with Clockworkpunk Prototype Base:

(link to pictures of unpainted original mini)

Here's an application of one of the "clockworkpunk" bases, with a Deadlands miniature I painted up to put on it. Although I haven't the fine hand, eyesight or patience to do the level of painting detail this figure deserves, I am still rather happy with how nicely the miniature paints up with a modest amount of effort. Smile I think another copy of this base might work just as well with a very late rabbit on it, given how the base support elements look at least vaguely like the hands of a clock.

I've also been using some of the War Cast Studio city (brick) street bases and wooden plank bases for some of my Wonderland miniatures conversions. I'm doing a bit of touch-up work on those, and now that I've got a better camera, I might try taking some close-up pictures later on.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Wonderland No More All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: