Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Necropolis Hinderances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Necropolis Hinderances Reply with quote

I've been looking for more Necropolis themed Hinderances (Mental Hinderances especially). Is there or are there any hinderances like Post Traumatic Stress and if so how would they operate mechanically.

I have a few players who have weathered the meat-grinder physically but there's no one who should come back entirely unscathed.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTSDs and other mental disorders/illnesses are generally handled by Phobia and Habit, sometimes combined with other hindrances like Doubting Thomas, Mean, Bloodthirsty, Yellow, Cautious...

Necropolis isn't a simulation game, and so it doesn't picture such disorders in every minute detail. Most is included in the Fear mechanism, and "assumed" to be treated between missions, in one way or another. Its the GMs prerogative to change the Phobia hindrance on the Fear Table into another hindrance of the same intensity, if it better fits the situation. You may also allow a house rule for buying off hindrances, when professionally treated (1 level up = minor, 2 level ups = major).

Simply use it (or other disorders) as a trapping for your characters hindrances.

There are products like 12 to Midnights Fear tables, or the different Horror settings that handle things like sanity in more detail, but that is not the goal of Necropolis. Getting them mad isn't the goal, just cracking them. And for this the core Fear mechanism is imo good enough.

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ideas. Phobia and Habit don't relate to PTS but mixing the different mechanical colours from what you are suggesting to make a different palate seems fun.

As for N2350 not being a simulation game: thank God. No one would make it out alive.

Twisted Evil
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not Phobia or Habit exactly, i know, but the mechanics behind these. And in combination with other hindrances you can make up virtually any mental disorder out there, as there are so many variants already. Combined with a drug habit, and a sleeping disorder you can patch PTSD on it.

Thats the greatest thing about the SW rules: If you don't find something exactly fitting, combine the effects of others and put a trapping on it. Wink

BTW if you have Weird Wars II somewhere you can even take the Shellshocked hindrances. IMO it fits nicely... And you have the hindrances Broken Spirit, Lost Faith and Nightmares in the Necropolis 2351 Update.

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried Weird Wars but I've seen it on the shelf. Though whats your take on it? I've got Necrop, Wonderland NM, Low Life, Rippers, and several others.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII is a great take on the world war, as is Tour of Darkness on the Vietnam conflict. Great settings, that catch the tone perfectly.

I'm not much into military settings, so both settings are basically just toolboxes (too near on history and real life for my taste), when i need certain rule mechanics, edges, powers, hindrances, gear etc. Necropolis is the exeception, being a SF military game in the far future.

Five

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWII and Tour of Duty are as Enno rightly says great resources for the games, but suffered from lack of commitment and further development, something you don't get from TAG settings. Good choices as source though. Best of luck with that.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly is a good one. Drop the title and keep the -2 Charisma penalty, and suddenly it's Socially Withdrawn.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Ugly is a good one. Drop the title and keep the -2 Charisma penalty, and suddenly it's Socially Withdrawn.

Why not Outsider? Has the same penalty, and the description already talks about social isolation. If it is self-chosen, real or imaginary, is only a question of interpretation. Smile

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote:

Why not Outsider? Has the same penalty, and the description already talks about social isolation. If it is self-chosen, real or imaginary, is only a question of interpretation. Smile

Outsider has slightly different suggestions (price hikes, etc), though at the end of the day all it does is give -2 Charisma. Just goes to show that filing the names off can produce a variety of options. Smile

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end it's all about the trapping, even for edges and hindrances. Wink

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Want to build a D&D bard, for example? Leadership Edges are all you need. Martial roundhouse kick? Sweep by another name.

vexx666

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat!
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it? Savage Worlds looks simplistic, but isn't simple! It knows some ingenious mechanisms... Wink

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inknowrite! This is why it's become one of my fav systems pushing out several others. It's simplistic at first read but it leads to a lot complexity and seamless narrative. My only regret about the system is that I didn't find it one year earlier before I ran my HEROES Campaign.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: