Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you like Hellfrost?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why do you like Hellfrost?
The level of detail
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
It's well supported with a variety of products
32%
 32%  [ 11 ]
It has one author's voice shaping it
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
It's a winter fantasy setting
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
It's an open setting, so I can shape it to suit my group
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
It's familiar, but has a twist
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Why do you like Hellfrost? Reply with quote

Hellfrost is pretty popular, but what's the one reason you, whether GM, player, or just a reader, like it? Polls only allow a few options, so if there's something you want to add, just say so!

Arthurius11

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only being able to choose one option is not good enough!

there should be an "All of the above" option cos that would have been the one i chose.
wmarshal

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the fact that it has 1 author's voice shaping it, but I also value the level of detail and that it's well supported by a variety of products. However, what I think helps make Hellfrost cohesive is that it is Wiggy's voice shaping the official version of Hellfrost.

I make some changes for the version of Hellfrost I run, and I'm sure a lot of other GM's make changes for their campaigns, but with one dominant official voice I find it easier to determine the changes I want to make.
Cursed

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[x] The level of detail
[x, voted] It's well supported with a variety of products
[x] It has one author's voice shaping it
[ ] It's a winter fantasy setting
[x] It's an open setting, so I can shape it to suit my group
[ ] It's familiar, but has a twist

- Cursed
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Arthurius11 all choices fit for me, more or less.

In the end i settled with "well supported".

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it for all the reasons...but also:

It makes my players think I am a good DM. Anything that can make that happen must be good.

I like the size of the books...Players, Gazetteer & Bestiary. Sounds strange but I like the fact that they are not ridiculously massive like a lot of stuff out there. I get overwhelmed by rule books these days and just can't be bothered to read them. The Hellfrost books are packed with good useful, inspiring threads and rules without bending the legs on my coffee table.

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enough detail without too much. And it gives me room to work and make my own much like one of my other favorite settings the Wilderlands.
Flint

No Cards!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the options are attractive, but "being well supported with a variety of products" won out for me. I was drawn to HellFrost in the first place because I was interested in a high fantasy Savage Worlds setting that was well supported and didn't have too many twists. My buddies and I have been adventuring in the Forgotten Realms using D&D for about 25 years, so when looking for a comparable Savage Worlds setting, HellFrost fit the bill. Given that my group is also into Game of Thrones, the icy world of HellFrost with a large glacial wall and threat of winter is pretty darn cool, too.

We just started HellFrost gaming two days ago with Lair of the Vermin Lord. I was a bit unprepared to start DMing, as I was expecting the guys to want to wrap up a Rippers adventure first. Everyone was excited to create characters for HellFrost and launched right into character creation at the start of our rpg night. As the DM, little prep work was needed to jump into the Vermin Lord addy. Ready-made adventures, set in a great open world, are much appreciated! (We game face-to-face using Fantasy Grounds and Maptools with a projector displaying the map top down onto our gaming table). We have only finished the first combat and already having much fun.

In terms of the setting and game mechanics, there are a few things I really like. The magic system is well developed (with a variety of unique arcane casters) and contextualized (e.g., magic's connection to the moon, history). The pantheon is very well detailed and interesting. The way Wiggy connected each deity to their priests and paladins, and their accompanying powers, is really good and presents the PCs with many options. Two more things... The number and variety of edges allows for some really good character customizability. Finally, the glory system has already impacted our gameplay as intended, bringing a sense of roleplay to combat and making the hack and slash more entertaining.

I could go on, but I better cut this first post short Wink

Needless to say, I like many things about HellFrost and am itching for more free time to read and play.

Flint
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Flint Very Happy

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to "all of the above" but open setting won out. I still think the balance of providing "just enough" information to convey what's going on without beating GMs and players over the head with canon is maintained masterfully throughout. Obviously I find the setting interesting or I wouldn't be running it but the idea that I wouldn't have to worry about splatbook after splatbook contradicting my vision of the world helped seal the deal for me.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang goes my idea for "Changes JDSampo won't like, Volume 1" then. Very Happy

dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for "all of the above" Smile

I've always liked realistic fantasy or, rather, as realistic as you can get when you have magic, orcs, elves, etc. Wink The fact that it was written for Savage Worlds (just as I was really getting into the system) was another plus.

Since the initial release, the wealth of supplements (paid and free) has been outstanding (I'm behind on a number of the Region Guides though Sad) and the single "voice" writing style is a refreshing change.

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Bang goes my idea for "Changes JDSampo won't like, Volume 1" then. Very Happy

LOL Very Happy
FatRat

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another more or less all of the above vote but the open yet detailed nature of the setting is ultimately what I find the most appealing.
Galieo

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I am hard-pressed to select a favorite feature of Hellfrost.

All the books I have purchased thus far (three core books, several adventures, etc.) have been excellent.

If it helps, my favorite DnD 3.5 setting hands down was Midnight by Fantasy Flight Games. To say Hellfrost conjures many of the same feelings I had upon discovering Midnight is the highest praise I can personally give a setting and its related rules.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: