Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does this game differ from HEX?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Leagues of Adventure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundark

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: How does this game differ from HEX? Reply with quote

This game doesn't seem all that different from HEX, both pulp games, both have cool gizmos. What makes LoA different that I couldn't just do it with HEX but change the setting?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How does this game differ from HEX? Reply with quote

Gundark wrote:
This game doesn't seem all that different from HEX, both pulp games, both have cool gizmos. What makes LoA different that I couldn't just do it with HEX but change the setting?

To be honest, you can run almost any game with HEX with a little work. What we've done is the hard work assembling all of that. Material specific to the late 19th century for gear and world locales, the Leagues themselves, appropriate villain and creature stats, guidelines for making new villainous groups, encounters to throw at the characters, tons of adventure hooks ready to use, and a few new Skills and Talents that suit the genre.

Hopefully other HEX fans who own LOA will chime in with their views as well, since mine are obviously biased.

Runeslinger

Three

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presentation of the Ubiquity rules in each setting has evolved over time, but that is a minor benefit compared to the encapsulation of mood, refinement of focus, and provision of setting specific support. The HEX core book is written from the assumption of being inside the Hollow Earth and trying to survive long enough to escape. Its whole focus takes the reader in that direction, while hinting at other things you can do. The other core books likewise suggest lots of options but focus pretty clearly on a fundamental mode of play.

Some core books provide entirely new rules, such as the magic in Desolation or that of All for One, but each of them builds characters (and therefore our portal into the world) with distinctive traits and attitudes. If a GM has the time to assess how to best represent a complete setting, from gear through to genre conventions, wade through the Talents and Resources to make them both fit and be evocative of that setting, compile the rules and rules options which support it, flesh out the world in which the PCs will move, and be able to prime those players to function within it sensibly, then one version of the rules will always be enough.

I feel a game is more than a sum of its parts, and when I look at my Ubiquity collection, I do not see HEX, DES, AfO, and now LoA as needless duplication of rules, I see them as different paths to widely varied environments for adventure. Each one I take off the shelf carries with it tangible and intangible inspiration for unique games where I can focus on the campaign, not the modifications I will have to make.

As far as LoA and HEX are concerned, I feel they are only loosely tied together by a thin thread of exploration, and the natural overlap produced by historical settings in eras with similar technological development. Otherwise, the games produce imagery, attitudes, intentions, and goals quite different in scope and approach from each other and I am quite glad to have each of them available to support my gaming in these radically different periods.
Reef

No Cards!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very nicely said, Runeslinger.
RevTurkey

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gundark,

From what I have managed to read so far Leagues of Adventure is a very good game. It does all the hard work for you making a Ubiquity game set in an exciting version of the Victorian age. The world guide is excellent and has lots of good adventure seeds in there. Also, if we all get behind it then we can probably look forward to the very high standard of support that Triple Ace Games has given it's other settings, such as All For One Very Happy

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends has HEX and it's on his list to run, I mentioned this game to him and he is worried it's going to step on his toes a bit.

I know obviously some of the tech is widely different (Tommy guns, air planes etc) as are the villains (Nazis, atlantians). But there are some similarities (pulp style of play, the hollow earth or something similar).

But is the setting and game playing different enough so that the two wouldn't clash. I don't want to steal his thunder?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveuk wrote:
But is the setting and game playing different enough so that the two wouldn't clash. I don't want to steal his thunder?

Yep. LOA isn't about the great mystery of the Hollow Earth*. It's about the great Victorian expeditions, to be the first to do something mankind will remember forever. An epic automobile journey across the Sahara (back when 3 mph was a high speed), traveling the Silk Road on a camel while sending back bulletins for the newspapers to print (and avoiding bandits and slavers, and then getting side-tracked to resuce a bone fide princess), hunting down missing scientists who have gone looking for dinosaurs while being chased by angry natives, exploring sunken cities in a creaking submersible, and planning a mission to the Moon by being fired from a huge cannon. Don't think of it as pulp -- think of it as Victorian high adventure.

Same goes for the style of characters. LOA characters are adventurous men and women of good breeding, who speak in posh tones, stop fighting to take high tea as the hour chimes, and comment on the poor attire and manners of others, not gum-chewing, fist-throwing, gun-twirling pulp heroes.

* The Hollow Earth Society gets a mention in the book for two reasons. First, the Victorian age is when it really catches the public imagination. Two, it's a nod and thanks to Jeff for letting us play with Ubiquity. Okay, there is a third -- LOA can be played as a precursor to HEX, if you want. Reaching the HE is a goal for one League, but that's one League among many others, and there's a lot of adventure on the surface.

TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In pulpesque movies terms... HEX is Indiana Jones. LOA is Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey Jr. version) Smile

Jeffrywith1e

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
In pulpesque movies terms... HEX is Indiana Jones. LOA is Sherlock Holmes (the Robert Downey Jr. version) Smile

That was perfect.

Even though SHERLOCK was better than the Downey Jr. version
Imajica

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrywith1e wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote:

That was perfect.

Even though SHERLOCK was better than the Downey Jr. version

And Dirk Gently wiped the floor with both of them.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imajica wrote:
And Dirk Gently wiped the floor with both of them.

A most enjoyable show!

bigsteveuk

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I was trying to talk me myself out of this and thn you go an come up with a great reply..damn the wife if going to kill me... Shocked
Imajica

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigsteveuk wrote:
Damn, I was trying to talk me myself out of this and thn you go an come up with a great reply..damn the wife if going to kill me... Shocked

It's pointless. We might as well just hand our cash over to TAG now. They're going to get it all in the end, anyway. The way we're doing it now is like water torture - just a little here and there....
Lugburz

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased the books for HEX as well as LOA, and I think they compliment each other wonderfully! Much of the seed material can be adapted from either publisher to fit the context of the other game setting. I'm thrilled by the quality of Wiggy's writing and imagination, and I don't see either book as being mutually exclusive. Many of the descriptions earlier in the thread do a marvelous job of explaining the unique qualities of each title, so I won't retread old ground.

Based on what I've seen, many members of the public have run LOA as a precursor to HEX (even encouraging the youthful characters from LOA to return as craggy old NPCs in subsequent HEX adventures). For me, I plan to run a HEX campaign with friends (using LOA as a supplement for NPC stats, secret society inspiration, and seed ideas for my own stories). Even so, the excellent material presented in LOA is icing on the cake (the free 101 Seed Ideas PDF? Brilliant!). That said, one might work that same magic in reverse; run an epic LOA campaign while borrowing some of the "timeless" material from HEX to bolster adventures full of dinosaurs, strange temples, etc.

Instead of seeing each title as mutually exclusive, try to interpret them for what they are: marvelous tools for establishing a deeply engaging world, rich with information. Each one can live inside it's own bubble without acknowledging the other, but they can also serve as fine accompaniments to any campaign focused on pulse pounding adventure. I'm extremely eager to see what else Wiggy has up his sleeve, as any new material for LOA is a guaranteed sale on my bank statement Wink
Tallgeese

No Cards!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the concern with duplication, but quite frankly I purchased this game because (initial handling of the issue of female Musketeers aside) I thought AfO was a great game, and 2) I chose to look at the potential for crossover with HEX as a feature rather than a bug. In fact, I am using it here: http://fatesf.blogspot.com/2012/08/sf-events-at-con-of-north-2013.html

My FATE SF Blog: fatesf.blogspot.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Leagues of Adventure All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: