Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you mean 'open setting'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Unruh

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My publisher is also a writer. There are a few books of his that I've read and have deeply enjoyed the reading of while still absolutely loathing most of the characters and bits of the world. Recently, I read a new work of his with a complicated bit of worldbuilding and I told him, "I've figured out how this works for me and I'm 100% sure it isn't the way you've made it work in your head. Don't tell me the 'real' way because it'll just make me unhappy."

That said, as a GM, I usually really like to see how the creator of a world has things in mind. I almost never use it as-is, but actually seeing it lets me know what page the creator is on compared to myself. I couldn't have said what I said to my publisher on the current book without having read and discussed the other books.

So, I guess I'm saying I see both sides. I don't want to feel hemmed in by an "official" version, but the creator in me (both writer and GM) would really like to see how the sausage was made.

Wiggy, you seem pretty committed to the current model, but I'm not going to stop brainstorming ways to get my two impulses to meet in the middle in a way that convinces you. Wink
Starhawk

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmarshal wrote:
If you meet Wiggy at a con you can sometimes get a little secret out of him.

Seriously?? I am going to have to go over his signatures in my Hellfrost books to see if there are coded messages.
amerigoV

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - first post here. I am still catching up on this gem that has been sitting on my shelf.

One thing I like about using a published setting is I can see all the ideas and them tie them together with my own schemes. For example, I really enjoyed the fact in Eberron that the "hows and whys" of the creation of the Mournland was never revealed (unless they did it in 4e, of which I did not partake). I had my own creation called Shadow Company -think Black Company, with Drow and other rough races. I had some fun ideas of how that simple mercenary company was linked to the whole event and I never needed to worry about something messing that up.

So all in all, I am really enjoying how Hellfrost is set up from that angle. All the material just oozes with ideas and I'll just let them brew in the back of my mind until I am ready to run a game (I'm running 50 Fathoms right now).

Plus, its interesting to throw out a "big thing" and not have it figured out. Sometimes, the players come up with much nastier things than even I can think up. There is nothing better than when their own nightmare comes true. Twisted Evil
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, amigo!

Quote:
So all in all, I am really enjoying how Hellfrost is set up from that angle. All the material just oozes with ideas and I'll just let them brew in the back of my mind until I am ready to run a game (I'm running 50 Fathoms right now).

Plus, its interesting to throw out a "big thing" and not have it figured out. Sometimes, the players come up with much nastier things than even I can think up. There is nothing better than when their own nightmare comes true.

Glad you're enjoying the set up. As a writer I much prefer to drip-feed fuel into GMs' imaginations rather than force-feed them with a solution to every odd occurence or mystery. I want you to play your campaigns, not mine. Smile

amerigoV

No Cards!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Welcome to the forums, amigo!

Thanks for the welcome! I've been looking to establish my long-term fantasy setting. Do I covert Greyhawk, FR, or Eberron? The impending re-release of Shaintar? Or this beast? (I'm talking main-line fantasy vs. stuff like 50 Fathoms) The Hellfrost Gazetteer has me hooked. So I think you have won out! *

* It does not mean I will not run those other settings, but what is my "go to" setting that gets the "80%" of my interest as a GM - I'll play in any of them.
Starhawk

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:

There are no current plans for more Hellfrost Rassilon material, but we're not drawing a line under it by any means. A long vacation for me in the desert will be a nice change, and while I'm basking in the sun other parts of the mind shall be dreaming up more frosty goodness.

So... does that mean there's never going to be a Region Guide for the Hellfrost itself?

I ask because my Heligioland campaign is Hearth Knight-centric (with 2 Knight PCs). They are interested in being promoted to the next tier and as such will have to spend some time on the other side of the wall. Right now it sounds like an endless string of Survival rolls and random encounters. Sad I was hoping this might get touched on by TAG before the wholesale shift to the southern lands.
McCurmudgeon

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starhawk wrote:

So... does that mean there's never going to be a Region Guide for the Hellfrost itself?

From what I understand the Hellfrost is suppose to be an environment you can do whatever you want with. It's only 1 page in the gazetteer which seems intentionally vague for such an important location.

If you're looking for some concrete ideas on areas that are meant to be like the hellfrost The Witchwood and Frozen Forest are meant to be good.

My personal view of what the Hellfrost looks like is a barren landscape that is completely frozen, similar to Antarctica
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starhawk wrote:

Never say never, but that area remains to be a "white spot" for every GM to fill.

Obviously most of the daily routine exploring the icy deserts of the North must be survival rolls. But the fine thing about being a "white spot" is, that you can place anything YOU want into it without contradicting anything. So you might introduce your colony of ice elves, your enclave of Kenaz paladins defending the last "hot" volcano, your inuit people, your polar fey realms, your ruins of lost "warmer" civilizations, a village of water benders that found a mysterous boy frozen into the ice, a school of enigmatic ice elementalists etc etc.

As McCurmdgeon wrote, look into the published materials for hints and ideas, as there are aplenty. One possible location in the Hellfrost is hinted in the Frost Giants Hold adventure.

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
a village of water benders that found a mysterous boy frozen into the ice

Haha, I kinda want to watch that show again. Laughing

I don't have any of the adventure modules for Sundered Skies but I feel if I'm guessing what it is about correctly The Ice Tower could be a good adventure to run (with some tweaking of course)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: