Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five questions about magic

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erich

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Five questions about magic Reply with quote

Hi,
We just wrapped up a Hellfrost adventure tonight with a tough battle against a plant possessed druid. (I forget the name of the adventure, but it is one of the published ones), and we had a few questions about magic come up.
Here goes:

1: When a caster casts a spell that has minuses, such as raising the base damage of a bolt to d8s, does the minus apply to the chance of siphoning?
i.e spell die d10 casting a bolt at -1 to raise damage type. Does siphoning occur only on a natural 1 or on a 1 or 2?

2. If some one is siphoned and looses access to their spells, do they also lose maintained spells such as armor?

3. When casting a barrier spell, does the caster take a -1 for each square beyond the first that the barrier covers? i.e 5 squares equals -4 on the casting roll.

4. If a caster is maintaining a spell such as armor does that mean they are at a -1 to cast other spells or -2 if maintaining 2 spells? Does the minus count against any other action or just spell casting?

5. Are druids even affected by the siphoning or are they considered cleric type casters?

Thanks

-Erich
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Five questions about magic Reply with quote

Hi Erich,

Erich wrote:
1: When a caster casts a spell that has minuses, such as raising the base damage of a bolt to d8s, does the minus apply to the chance of siphoning?
i.e spell die d10 casting a bolt at -1 to raise damage type. Does siphoning occur only on a natural 1 or on a 1 or 2?

No, it's always a natural 1. Negatives increase the chance of failure, is all.

Quote:
2. If some one is siphoned and looses access to their spells, do they also lose maintained spells such as armor?

Yep. Page 51: Losing Access to Power (my italics)... If a wizard loses access to his powers as a result of the Siphoning, any spells currently in effect are automatically canceled as well.

Quote:
3. When casting a barrier spell, does the caster take a -1 for each square beyond the first that the barrier covers? i.e 5 squares equals -4 on the casting roll.

No, it's every -1 for additional 2" or part thereof. That's covered in the Errata

Quote:
4. If a caster is maintaining a spell such as armor does that mean they are at a -1 to cast other spells or -2 if maintaining 2 spells? Does the minus count against any other action or just spell casting?

It's a cumulative -1 per Maintained spell. The penalty effects any use of arcane skill rolls.

Quote:
5. Are druids even affected by the siphoning or are they considered cleric type casters?

Druids are affected by the Siphoning. Among mages, only hrimwisards suffers non-Siphoning backlash.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to item 4...

As written on page 50 of the HF PHB the maximum number of maintained spells is half the casters arcane skill. So on d4 it's 2 spells, while with d12 it's six spells, giving them a -1 or -5 penalty respectively.

This penalty affects ANY use of the arcane skill, including opposed rolls for Disruption (see SW core rolls) and such.

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enno wrote:
Just to add to item 4...

…So on d4 it's 2 spells, while with d12 it's six spells, giving them a -1 or -5 penalty respectively.

Wouldn't the range be -1 to -6 depending on the number of maintained spells? If a caster with a d12 skill was maintaining 6 spells I believe they can still cast instant spells such as bolt at a -6.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nope. It's a n-1 penalty.

We had this "problem" years back, when discussing the Bodyguard power.

Enno wrote:
Wiggy had it a "little bit" wrong... Wink

First spell: No malus
Second spell: -1
Third spell: -2
Fourth spell: -3

After that he could only cast non-maintained spells, if he doesn't want to cancel one of his bodyguards.

Example: Groc Humblesunu has the Armor power running on himself. When he tries to cast a second spell or has to resist against Disruption or another spell he has a -1 penalty.
When he buffed his the whole group of 6 heroes (including himself) with Armor he has a -6 penalty when casting a seventh (non-maintained) spell.

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I think I see.
So a mage could keep armor up and cast his bolt at no penalty, but when he adds a maintained deflection spell then his bolt is at -1 to cast.

While I'm thinking about it; I assume this also applies to the natural spells of the Frost born?

Thanks
-Erich
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's irrelevant for the second spell if it is Instant or Maintained. Both get the -1 penalty. Only difference is that instant spells don't add to it, because ... well .. they are instant. Thats the reason why a spellcaster maintaining his maximum number of spells, can still cast instant powers - with the corresponding penalty, of course.

Of course, this applies to Frostborn too. In a double context, because the natural abilities add up to the spells he might later learn as a hrimwisard, if he chooses the venue of a spellcaster. Both run on his hrimwisard arcane skill.

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh OK,
Now I get it.
We were playing that right at least.
Thanks for the clarification.

-Erich
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally a frostborn is only allowed to become a hrimwisard, so the limits of maintaining spells is obvious.

In the rare case that your GM allows frostborn other arcane arts too, like Heahwisardry for instance, you have to apply some common sense here.

That's the way i would rule it, so Wiggy may correct me if i'm wrong.

Let's say our frostborn heahwisard mastered his inner abilities with d6 hrimwisardry, while he controls his heahwisardry powers with a skill of d10.

I would rule that he may maintain up to 5 powers (half of his best arcane skill). The difference between half his lowest and half his best skill could only be filled by his best arcane art. So he may maintain up to 3 inner abilities, which leaves him with the last 2 slots reserved for his heahwisardry. If he "fills" all with heahwisardy, that leaves him with room for abilities from his frigid form.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: