Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 things i´d like

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo

No Cards!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: 2 things i´d like Reply with quote

First, I love hellfrost. Smile

Now, the two things i´d like to have but don´t:

1)A player´s gazetteer.

2)A relationship map, showing the kingdoms/city states relationship (war/ally/despise...) with each other.

Anyone has something like that and wouldn´t mind sharing? Very Happy

Thanks,
Eduardo
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. A player's Gazetteer is best made by yourself, just by copy and pasting the published material from the Gazetteer and the correspondig Region Guides. You leave out the leave out any details the players get only when they reached a certain level of influence or are involved in military campaigns, where the strength of local armies become obvious.

I created such a handbook for every major area the players ever adventured and spent some time in. Especially the rules of the realm table are important here, as i wrote in an other thread.

Considering that my players love to explorer foreign lands, such a handbook is rarely longer than a few pages, which takes me about an evening to prepare.

Because these handbooks contain official copyrighted texts they are not meant for sharing. Sorry! Wink

2. Interesting idea, but IMO not very feasible. I prefer a much flexible approach. Some people use mindmapping or programming apps (especially for UML) to create wonderful and flexible relationship maps.

I'm a bit more consertive and pragmatic. Instead of mapping every relationship possible, i limit it to the areas the players are really adventuring in.

I then create a simple spreadsheet that crossreferences the main areas to each other, simply with a +, 0, and -, followed with a few notes. Even then such a spreadsheet becomes very unwieldy in areas with numerous independent or relatively autonomous realms, like the Magocracy or the Freelands - and don't mention Heligioland where you have to go down to village level. I'm sticking here with my experience, that the players rarely need more than 10-20% of any published material, so don't go into too much detail here. It's most often a waste of time.

I doubt that an official map makes sense. First it is expensive to produce, secondly it contradicts the idea of an open setting. Publishing such a map or crossindex would introduce more canon knowledge then desired.

Settlements and realm have simply a relationship YOUR story needs. Don't do too much here, because - as i said above - most of the stuff is rarely ever revealed. Result is fewer bookkeeping, less preparation time and you could concentrate on the story of your adventure itself.

Just my view on this matter... Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: