Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming a Sword Knight

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckyguy

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Becoming a Sword Knight Reply with quote

Looking for some suggestions/feedback for an idea I have. I had worked up a sort of encounter table for Roadwardens maintaining travel towers in a previous post. It went OK but not as well as I had envisioned. I was really just looking for an interesting way to get them from Aslov to Bridgewater/Scathmoor to get them caught up in the Pirates of the Crystalflow adventure. It probably did not help that I gave them a couple of choices as far as the route to take and the picked the long one. It might be nice for a short trip but for most of the party it was not very interesting several days in. A couple of hours of real time and I put them near some woods and started the Dark Seed adventure. We never went back to the travel tower tables. I may revisit it at some point. If I do I would probably try to flesh out more results that would involve others in the group.

I am now trying to work up something similar but more interesting for the whole group. We have a Hearth Knight in the party that will want to embark on his journey to become a sword knight at some point. I think the party plans to join him though of course they cannot take part in the single combat he must fight. The trip is six months. Six months is a long time and I think it should require at least a couple of game sessions to feel like a lengthy ordeal. I may have some specific encounters (the rotting mammoth in the encounters book comes to mind) but am also considering encounter tables. Maybe drawing a single card each week with a joker indicating two more draws for the week. Encounters would include creatures (of course) as well as hazards from the bestiary. I would perhaps have some cards that indicate little or nothing of interest occurs in a given week. I think also some occurrences that require survival rolls or other skill checks.

I do intent to share this on the forum and revise if I get input. Last time I started by posting some tables and got some good feedback from Enno. I reworked it a couple of times. This time I thought I would ask for any thoughts or ideas before taking my first crack at it. Has anyone worked with a Hearth Knight character that made the journey to become a sword knight (or lance knight)? If so how did you handle it and what did you require of them to get through six months in the outer Hellfrost? I suspect it could be handled abstractly but feel I could do something more fun with it. What thoughts come to mind regarding creatures that inhabit the hell frost, hazards, survival rolls or anything else?
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so complicated?

The HFPHB says on becoming sword knights:
"In order to become a Sword Knight, a knight must spend six months in the outer Hellfrost and slay a fearsome Hellfrost beast in single combat. In game terms, the creature must have the Immunity (Cold) ability and have a Toughness rating at least 6 higher than the knight’s."

I would simply create a list of encounters and events for the next months. Because i know how long a typical scene lasts (in real game time), i then estimate how many i get into one gaming session to create an interesting story arc for the evening. But you could also create some random tables. Imo such tables give you many good opportunities, but rolling dice or drawing cards could become a boring routine.

You have only to take care that the group meets such a Hellfrost beast. Thats it! The other encounters could be predetermined and structured as i would do it, or you use a random table.

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on encounters (random or prepared) and don't have the HF Expansion then Region Guide #12: Witchwood contains lots of frosty beasties.

Gods & Monsters
* Langbarđr, minor god of glaciers
* Norđri, minor god of the north wind
* Coldfire Beetle
- Immature Coldfire Beetle Swarm
* Cryosphinx Riddle Master
* Elementals
- Glacier Elemental
- Hailstorm Elemental
* Polar Bear, Armored
* Shiversprite
* Winter Hag
* Winter Wolf
* Wolf Lord, Frost
Plus rules on ice forts and dragon ships.

luckyguy

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good feedback. I think I have the Witchwood RG already and also own a hard copy of the expansion. I may go with creating a set encounters after all and incorporate most or all of the non sea hazards. Are there any other region guides you might recommend for inspiration/ideas?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witchwood and The Frozen Forest are the most Hellfrosty. Given the only route through to the Hellfrost is via the Frozen Forest, I would definitely recommend that one. Maybe Icedale Freehold as well -- Hearth Knihgts frequently visit on trips to and from the Hellfrost.

luckyguy

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will check those out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: