Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Miscellaneous Necropolis Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: A few more: Reply with quote

Bob_RedBlok wrote:
This is more of a logistics question: how do knight infantrymen and women manage to carry three spears along with their other gear? Do they typically leave some spears in the APC and carry only one into battle? Do the spears perhaps collapse or telescope to become more portable?

Spears weigh 5 pounds, Heartbreakers even less (just 1). These can be easily carried bundled together on the back. There's not always an APC available after all.
Plus, soldiers are used to carry heavy equipmet (like mortars) which they drop when a firefight starts.

Quote:
Would you say it is feasible to fire a flechette SMG one-handed, albeit with a penalty to the shooting roll?
Yes. You could add a -2 to the Shooting roll, but since the Flechette SMG weigh half as much as today's SMG and there is less recoil, you could also lower that to -1 or skip it entirley.

Quote:
Do the flechette machineguns come equipped with a bipod?
See page 34 - a tripod is available, but adds 8 pounds to the weight.
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is more of a logistics question: how do knight infantrymen and women manage to carry three spears along with their other gear? Do they typically leave some spears in the APC and carry only one into battle? Do the spears perhaps collapse or telescope to become more portable?

I always imagined that it was the spear point that exploded and left the shaft solid so that a new point could be refitted. A bit like a shark bang stick or the like.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: A few more: Reply with quote

Bob_RedBlok wrote:

Strapped to their back, normally.

Quote:

Would you say it is feasible to fire a flechette SMG one-handed, albeit with a penalty to the shooting roll?

I'd say no Shooting roll penalty. Nothing about that is mentioned in SW.

Quote:
Do the flechette machineguns come equipped with a bipod?

Yep. Rules for bipods are on page 45 of SWEX.

Bob_RedBlok

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more miscellaneous questions:

If a Knight commits a minor sin, such as swearing, would he be flogged on the spot, or would the Ordo go through the trouble of convening Chaplains, Knight Commanders and so on to try the Knight? I am personally thinking that a good rule of thumb for the threshold between being lashed on the spot and taken to be tried would be whether the floggings can be administered all at once--if the necessary lashings require more than one beating, the Ordo convenes a tribunal.

On that note, who usually administers the floggings? Wardens? The Knight's immediate superior? Do Chaplains oversee the flogging?

The artwork for the Chaplain archetype in the setting book depicts the Chaplain wielding a sword. I know, the sword is the mark of a knighthood, but I am somewhat obligated to ask on behalf of my Chaplain's player: are Chaplains permitted to wield swords?

And about solar flares: do they interfere with all radio communication, or just long range? I thought the book implied long range communications, meaning the Knights' helmet comms still function during a solar flare. Is this the case, or are even the short-range personal comms disabled during a solar flare? Could or should the answer depend on the severity of the flare?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_RedBlok wrote:
A couple more miscellaneous questions:

If a Knight commits a minor sin, such as swearing, would he be flogged on the spot, or would the Ordo go through the trouble of convening Chaplains, Knight Commanders and so on to try the Knight? I am personally thinking that a good rule of thumb for the threshold between being lashed on the spot and taken to be tried would be whether the floggings can be administered all at once--if the necessary lashings require more than one beating, the Ordo convenes a tribunal.

Swift punishment is known. When it's obvious the guy is guilty of something trivial you don't need a trial -- that wastes valuable time. Of course, if the Senior Knight oversteps his bounds with punishements, he may face trial.

A persistent offender will probably face trial, as his punishment may be greater, but only the court can decide that.

Quote:

On that note, who usually administers the floggings? Wardens? The Knight's immediate superior? Do Chaplains oversee the flogging?

Usually it's the Knight's immediate superior doing the flogging. A Chaplain would never flog, but he'd be there saying prayers and hearing confession.

Quote:

The artwork for the Chaplain archetype in the setting book depicts the Chaplain wielding a sword. I know, the sword is the mark of a knighthood, but I am somewhat obligated to ask on behalf of my Chaplain's player: are Chaplains permitted to wield swords?

Officially no (it's not in their gear), but in battle you use what is to hand.

Quote:

And about solar flares: do they interfere with all radio communication, or just long range? I thought the book implied long range communications, meaning the Knights' helmet comms still function during a solar flare. Is this the case, or are even the short-range personal comms disabled during a solar flare? Could or should the answer depend on the severity of the flare?

It's generally the long range comms, as that bounces off satellites. Helmet comms are very short range.

Bob_RedBlok

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks a bunch for the swift reply.
ARCONTE

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I [HEART] this thread! Such excellent topics!

A related question:

Wiggy, you stated that Knights don't ride horses - why? Is it because there aren't any in Salus or are they all "corrupted"?

Thanks!!
AR
CON
TE
daran

Five

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARCONTE wrote:
Hello!

I [HEART] this thread! Such excellent topics!

A related question:

Wiggy, you stated that Knights don't ride horses - why? Is it because there aren't any in Salus or are they all "corrupted"?

Given a hi-tech equipped foe with the ability to terrorise living things I'd prefer to ride into combat in a prophet, disembark and dispense a little salvation with some heavy weapons. Horse cavalry doesn't do well against guns and heavy weapons - e.g. Charge of the Light Brigade, WWI etc. Besides, waste of good meat when all you have is processed rations! Wink
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daran pretty much summed it up. However, if horses are useful for patrolling or crossing certain terrain, then the Ordines will use them. But in battle it's asking for trouble. They're pragmatic.

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses ideal for patrolling, they were used extensively in a counter partisan role in Russia and to some extent in the Balkans, they are silent and can get to places a whole lot faster than foot sloggers.

The last real Cavalry charge was 24th August 1942 where Italian mounted forces charged emplaced Siberian infantry. The mounted squadrons of Italians rode forward at a gallop into the Soviet lines. They did it properly following a long tradition of cavalry doctrine. starting at a walk, onto a trot, then a canter then a full gallop over the last hundred yards or so. Supported by the dismounted 4th Squadron and the regiment’s machine gun squadron they broke the back of the 2000-strong Siberian 812th Infantry Regiment. The Italians won the day, capturing 900 and killing a further 150. The captured 60 mortars, artillery pieces and machine guns. Italian losses were 40 killed, 79 wounded and the loss of one hundred horses.

Sorry just had to put this in. Embarassed
ARCONTE

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories like this really stoke me for a game of Duty & Honour!

Arconte Rolling Eyes
ARCONTE

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Daran pretty much summed it up. However, if horses are useful for patrolling or crossing certain terrain, then the Ordines will use them. But in battle it's asking for trouble. They're pragmatic.

So, (pardon the question), what do they use instead, motorcycles, wheeled vehicles, hovercraft, drones?

Thanks

Arconte
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARCONTE wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote:

So, (pardon the question), what do they use instead, motorcycles, wheeled vehicles, hovercraft, drones?

The answer is in the main book. Smile The Daniel quad bike, for one: "Ill–suited for a combat role, it is, however, perfect for patrol duties in non–hostile territory and for getting around larger Preceptories." Otherwise there are Prophets and Sinais to hand, as well as Angels for aerial patrols.

ARCONTE

Three

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
ARCONTE wrote:
TAG Wiggy wrote:

The answer is in the main book. Smile The Daniel quad bike, for one: "Ill–suited for a combat role, it is, however, perfect for patrol duties in non–hostile territory and for getting around larger Preceptories." Otherwise there are Prophets and Sinais to hand, as well as Angels for aerial patrols.

All right, thanks!

So, besides the Sacred Orders, in general, there's a medieval feel to Salus (ie. we see ox-driven plows, & farmers with horses, & medieval buildings), or is it something else?

A
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARCONTE wrote:
So, besides the Sacred Orders, in general, there's a medieval feel to Salus (ie. we see ox-driven plows, & farmers with horses, & medieval buildings), or is it something else?

Within the Church, yes. The Update has a few more notes aboutChurch life, but most peasants are medieval serfs in attitude and technology.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: