Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glory Question

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanchergw

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Glory Question Reply with quote

In our last (2nd) session, the group was waylaid on the road by part of a larger bandit gang that has been plaguing the local roads and villages. They defeated the bandits and took the leader prisoner, turning him in to the local authorities. I figure this falls in the "good" category.

In the process, one member of the group proceeded to "make certain of" (i.e. stab) those bandits who were already down to ensure their deaths. Another member of the group - a cleric of Tiw - chopped the index finger off the bandit leader's right hand after he was captured as a "sacrifice" for Tiw. (It's not clear to me from the write-up how Tiw would view something like this.) These things seem to fall in the "not so good" category.

They did also let one of the bandits flee without filling his back with arrows. Probably "good", though it may come back to haunt them once he reports the events to the rest of the bandit gang. They intend to hunt down the rest of the gang in the next session, which will probably result in a similar level of butchery.

How would one go about determining the impact, positive and/or negative, from a Glory perspective?

Gordon
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are common criminals and outcasts meant to be hunted down and brought to justice. It doesn't matter if these evildoers are muggers, orcs, Frostreavers, or ice goblins. It is expected from a hero to do the "right thing" here.

In my book the above situation counts as a simple Rescue (HFPHB p101-102), that gives your heroes just +1 to +3 Glory points on their next Glory roll depending on the number of regular citizens saved.

That one of the opposing party got away is to be expected in any conflict. So this hasn't any impact on their Glory. Same with chopped off limbs and dramatic kill strokes. That happens, and isn't out of the ordinary and noteworthy unless it happens to very powerfull opponent, like a giant, dragon, evil priest etc. Combat such opponents and you got the real Glory from telling your story.

Unless your cleric doesn't sin and breaks no cultural law he may collect finger bones, teeths, ear lobes or similar as a trophy. Some people may find such practice disgusting, while others may give them some respect. These are just situational modifiers, and eventually hooks for further adventures.

A good rule of thumb for me was always to give out the real glory points for a whole adventure and overcoming its obstacles. A simple "wandering monster" only gives you a point or two, unless it something really special. Bandits usually ain't, because they are a part of daily life.

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Glory Question Reply with quote

fanchergw wrote:
In the process, one member of the group proceeded to "make certain of" (i.e. stab) those bandits who were already down to ensure their deaths.

Not an unusual practise in ancient warfare. If the bandits had surrendered and been taken prisoner before their killing, then that would be a different story entirely.

Quote:
Another member of the group - a cleric of Tiw - chopped the index finger off the bandit leader's right hand after he was captured as a "sacrifice" for Tiw. (It's not clear to me from the write-up how Tiw would view something like this.) These things seem to fall in the "not so good" category.

Maiming a prisoner without even a show trial? I'd impose a few points of lost Glory due to a bad reputation for mistreating prisoners. Sacrifices of that nature to Tiw are old school (i.e. barbaric), but the religious aspect won't alter his Glory. Dargar would likely raise a smile, though -- that paladin may be ripe for leading astray. Twisted Evil

Quote:
They did also let one of the bandits flee without filling his back with arrows. Probably "good", though it may come back to haunt them once he reports the events to the rest of the bandit gang. They intend to hunt down the rest of the gang in the next session, which will probably result in a similar level of butchery.

Bad move. Not a Glory issue in any way (shooting him in the back wouldn't be a Glory penalty), but that survivor can now warn his mates about who's coming so they can set up an ambush. It may even raise their morale -- those bastards maim prisoners, lads.

fanchergw

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback!

The encounter with the bandits was part of a larger "fetch" quest they were performing for a local priest. Earlier on, they had pretty-much single-handedly saved another village from a coordinated ice goblin raid. They got a pretty decent Glory benefit from that.

I will probably combine the defeat of the bandits with the delivery of the item to determine the Glory award for completion of the quest. Since they are Novices and this is my daughter's first RPG experience (she's the elven archer that let the bandit escape), I'm being a bit generous with the Glory awards. As they get more experience with the world (both as characters and players), I'll become less generous.

On the other hand, since my daughter is only 11 and I feel like my son's character's trophy-taking is a bit "grimmer" than I'm really comfortable with for my daughter's age, I will probably penalize a bit more than I might otherwise. I'm not entirely certain that I have a good feel for the intended "grittiness" of this setting. From Wiggy's comments, it may be a bit moreso than I had estimated, though not by a lot. At the end of the day, it's up to me to suit it to my particular group / audience, so I will probably tone it down a little bit. I have already discussed this with my son.

Gordon
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: