Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Age of Piracy] Zombie Trebuchet and Dread Cannon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: [Age of Piracy] Zombie Trebuchet and Dread Cannon Reply with quote

One thing I noticed about the entry for the new Tabletop Heroes: Age of Piracy - Undead Pirates set ... is that there's no mention of the Zombie Trebuchet, or the Dread Cannon!

Well, basically, I went a bit overboard when making the undead pirates (a while back), and had this crazy idea of a trebuchet crewed by (and loaded by) zombies. (*chop* *fwing* Yaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr-*SPLAT*)

Above is a photo of the (roughly) assembled model. (I didn't put that extra effort into trimming the pieces, or using a felt-tip marker to blacken the exposed white edges.) No moving parts in the paper model, really, and I suppose the weight (anchor) should be positioned over the edge of the deck, so it has enough room to drop the full distance. (That is, if it were a real trebuchet.)

Above is a photo of the separate components (once the opposing side pieces have been glued together). Please note that you'll have to cut a short slot in the middle of the top "axis" for the trebuchet arm to fit into the A-frame. (Once you put it together, it shoudl be fairly easy to figure out where to cut a slot.)

Also included in the set are the "dread cannons." This consists of the "Shipwreck Cannon" (a 32-pdr ghost ship cannon), the "Ghost Cannon," and the "Skull Cannon." And I had a lot of fun doing the detail work for those last two! They're presented in two forms: First, there are multi-piece cannon assemblies in the style of the 32-pdr paper cannon that was included in the original Age of Piracy: British set. However, paper models of that size can be a bit fiddly ... so I also made up some simpler flats to represent the cannons as well (stand-up two-sider models showing the cannon from the side).

Dave Blewer wrote up stats and color information for the Zombie Trebuchet, Ghost Cannon, and Skull Cannon, included in the set. The updated "British" set still includes the original 32-pdr cannon, but now includes a page of several copies of the "easy" version as well.

As for the regular contents of the Undead Pirate set, I tried to go for a variety of undead types, with the idea that someone might either try to cram an undead pirate ship with an assortment of ALL of these undead types ... or maybe the GM would reserve certain crew types for certain ships.

(For example, you could use JUST the Skeletons for a pirate ship with a literal skeleton crew, with the skeletal Ghost of Captain Deepbeard in charge. Or, you could use JUST zombies, with "Captain Samedi" as the voodoo lord in charge. Or, you could even have a ghost ship of the far north, crewed entirely by Viking Wights ... or perhaps a cursed trireme crewed entirely by Roman Legionnaire Wights. And so forth.)

A few of the figures have intentional likeness to certain characters from the Pirate set, just in case a GM would like to pull a stunt such as having an apparently normal pirate reveal his true cursed nature under certain conditions ... or maybe a character that the PCs are likely to kill off, but who might rise from the dead later on for revenge!
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that I like Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: