Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flora and Fauna of Necropolis

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Flora and Fauna of Necropolis Reply with quote

What is the flora and fauna of Necropolis like? As if things aren't dangeous enough as they are. Please share your thoughts. Here is an example of something I cobbled up.

My PCs were tracking the escaped Corrupt priest into the forest and I came up with some quick info for them on the local fauna.

The first rule of moving through the Necropolis outback.

"Always be able to run faster than the slowest person."

Second rule.

"If you are the slowest person have a big gun."

My boys just laughed and laughed. Laughing

I imagined the local fauna as being very tough, agile and deadly.

A template for the bestiary would be armor +1 or +2 (they have chitin), improved frenzy (they have eight limbs), fighting die type is one higher than their terristrial counterpart.

They ran into a Highland Puma (a 500 lb lion equivalent). They still shot it to pieces in no time flat; seems the local wild life is still susceptible to full auto fire from a Flechette MG.
Do everything in love. I Cor 16:14

SDG

Last edited by Hellfire6A on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
SlasherEpoch

Three

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think canonically, there's not life on Chalcis besides that which we introduced.

However, I would support a game that involved native animals or genetically modified creatures running about. There is mention made of "corrputed" animals that the Rephaim experimented on (I think in the section on Darkness Generators); you can be sure the Corporations have done the same thing (sharks with frickin' laser beams, anyone?).

So...long story short, too late for that, but I like the idea.

Arctic Cat
Found in the icy land of Midgard, Arctic Cats are rarely seen these days having been hunted by colonists to near extinction. Sadly, ecological preservation isn't high up on anyone's priorities these days, so these animals are usually dispatched on sight. Their heavy fur is valued for its toughness and resistance to the cold, and their fangs fetch a high price from collectors. Interestingly enough, they have more in common with bears than cats, despite the name.
Agility d10, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Fighting d8, Notice d8, Stealth d10, Survival d8, Tracking d10
Pace 9, Parry 6, Toughness 10(2)
abilities:
Claws: St+d6
Bite: St+d8, AP 2
Armor +2 (hide)
Size +1
Low Light Vision
Immunity (fatigue from cold)
Fleet Footed

Something like that?
sadric

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that there was local fauna and flora.
But most animals are no enemy for a armed and armored knight.
But poisonous animals or a stampede of large herbivores could be a danger for your group.
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadric wrote:
I remember reading that there was local fauna and flora.
But most animals are no enemy for a armed and armored knight.
But poisonous animals or a stampede of large herbivores could be a danger for your group.

Ohhh... A pitched battle between a troop of knights and some undeads.... and then some stampeding longhorns appear in the valley...
thenovalord

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ohhh... A pitched battle between a troop of knights and some undeads.... and then some stampeding longhorns appear in the valley...

a little like the scene from the movie Zulu.
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Tricky terrain Reply with quote

Would this also be a good place for mentioning dangerous terrain?

Like...

Deadfall. Deadfall is an area, amazingly enough, of dead and rotted trees. This is prevalent in forests and jungle. Dead trees are common in forests and provide energy to smaller faster growing plants and fungi. Thus rapidly creating what is often times a thick ground cover. This is dangerous when the trees fall over a sink hole, a crevass, a streambed, old fighting positions or bunkers (this is how I was introduced) or any other depression in the ground readily covered by the new growth and the old rotting woods.

Notice roll to spot. The WM can inflict a -1 to -2 for difficulty to spot. Failure to spot, victim must make an agility roll to avoid (may be at a -1 to -2 if the deadfall is really old or involves alot of creeper vines etc.) or take damage. Damage is dependent on the depth of the hole you fall into. Deadfall will create open areas in the forest/jungle and even impromtu fighting positions (logs to hide behind). Moving through by choice may be necessary. Moving in difficult ground at 1/2 pace (or 4 inches per inch) allows you to avoid Agility rolls for damage. Moving at regular speed (2 inches per inch) inflicts an Agility roll at +2 per inch moved. Cover provided can be from +2 to +4 quite easily.

Example the aforementioned hidden fighting positions.

Deadfall -1 to Notice and -1 to Agility (the deadfall had been present for a year or more) to avoid damage 2d6 damage to an extremity armor may help but must still roll if it provides only partial protection (lots of twisted and busted ankles) +4 cover (its old fighting positions) open areas were usually 5 to 10 inches long and 5 inches wide but could be as large as 20 inches by 10 inches.

SDG
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derfinsterling wrote:

John Wayne meets Resident Evil...yee haw!

SDG
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
So...long story short, too late for that, but I like the idea.

Arctic Cat
Found in the icy land of Midgard, Arctic Cats are rarely seen these days having been hunted by colonists to near extinction. Sadly, ecological preservation isn't high up on anyone's priorities these days, so these animals are usually dispatched on sight. Their heavy fur is valued for its toughness and resistance to the cold, and their fangs fetch a high price from collectors. Interestingly enough, they have more in common with bears than cats, despite the name.

Very cool I was looking for a grizzly equivalent to spring on my boys and this looks like just the ticket.

SDG
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherEpoch wrote:
I think canonically, there's not life on Chalcis besides that which we introduced.

There is native life. There's a brief section at the back of the bestiary. Take a typical Earth beast and give it an unusual trait pretty much sums it up.

C.A.Pryde

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And make all of the native life in a Dead Zone extra-nasty, to reflect the corrupting effect of the Rephaim.
Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
SlasherEpoch wrote:

There is native life. There's a brief section at the back of the bestiary. Take a typical Earth beast and give it an unusual trait pretty much sums it up.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread. The question about native life on Salus came currently up in one of our german forums.

The sections you mentioned, namely "Imported Biosphere" and "Mundane Animals" are only found in the older Pinnacle version of the setting book. They are missing from the TAG version, were both sections are reduced to a few notes.

It would be nice, if these older sections could be republished verbatim as a freebie for owners of the newer version. They have a few tips for creating native life on Salus, mundane and corrupted, which may be interesting. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: