Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age of Piracy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cripple X

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Age of Piracy Reply with quote

I didn't see another general thread for AoP so, I decided I'd start one.

I picked up the Age of Piracy Flats to use for an upcoming demo of Solomon Kane I'm running on Saturday (the adventure's all hammered out, just need to get the flats together), and I was knocked on my ass (well I would have been if I wasn't sitting down already) because the quality is so good. These flats are top notch. There's so much in them, People and Animals and Firepower, Oh My! The flats even have NPC stat-blocks! What a great idea!

Art wise, the figures are awesome. Each figure has such character. These flats are probably my favorite work of yours Jordan, just for that reason. Will you be releasing more? The French or Spanish Perhaps?

These flats have gotten me wanting to run PotSM so bad it burns. Think I should get that checked out?

Thanks for the awesome flats.
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Age of Piracy Reply with quote

Cripple X wrote:
The flats even have NPC stat-blocks! What a great idea!

The NPC stat-blocks are from Dave Blewer, and I had a lot of fun reading his write-ups. For AOP #1, I was given a rough guideline - a page of wild cards, some female pirates, then some regular crew. I drew an assortment of characters, and threw in the pirate pets as extras.

Originally I was going to put a parrot on the shoulder of "One Leg" Jones, but then it occurred to me: If he has a parrot permanently attached to his shoulder (the flat, that is), then what if the GM wants to represent the parrot being elsewhere? So, I made a separate parrot figure on a stand, and I figured if someone REALLY wanted a parrot on a pirate's shoulder ... well, it could be cut out and glued on to the appropriate figure. (This was back when the figures were all 2-siders, so it's a little more involved for a tri-fold.)

Anyway, once I'd done the parrot - well then! I need 4 more pets (since in the original version there were 5 figures per page) - so therefore I went ahead and did the other critters (rat, monkey, snake and ring-tailed lemur).

Oh yeah, and for two of the female pirates, I actually used my wife as a model. Well, I use her as a model a lot for poses anyway, but she made some mix-and-match pirate costume pieces for the first year I ran Pirates of the Spanish Main at Necronomicon, and wore them around - so I had my work cut out for me.

It was pretty cool to see Dave Blewer come up with names and stats for all of them, and even some character blurbs.

For the British set, the characters were already defined (at least insofar as name, rank/role, and gear); still, when Dave Blewer wrote up the character blurbs, he took into account the peculiar ways that I illustrated the characters, and extrapolated from that a bit to give them personalities. The 32-pdr cannon was added in by (I think!) Robin Elliott; I didn't actually draw that one.

For the Undead set, I had free rein to go berserk with the details. As it was, I had to cut back a bit, or it would have dwarfed the other sets. It's a mixture of different types of undead with the idea that the GM could either mix-and-match for an undead ship that has most all these guys - or he could split it up a bit for his campaign (e.g., have one haunted ship with skeleton crew, another ship with zombie crew led by a necromancer, have a pirate ship with ordinary-but-enthralled pirates from AOP #1 but captained by a vampire, have an entire ship crewed by undead Vikings wights, and so forth). The "Figure Factory" (courtesy of Robin Elliott) makes it a lot easier to make use of that sort of flexibility.

But what was really cool, again, was seeing what Dave Blewer came up with to describe the various weird things I drew. Smile

Quote:
Will you be releasing more? The French or Spanish Perhaps?

That's entirely up to the TAG folks, of course. (I'm just a freelancer, so I don't make any decisions on the product line.)

Quote:
These flats have gotten me wanting to run PotSM so bad it burns. Think I should get that checked out?

This forum probably isn't the proper place for me to expound upon the pros and cons of non-TAG products. However, if you should happen to run a game set in the "age of piracy" using Savage Worlds, whatever the particular setting, I've got a few freebie player aids I've put together as fan items on my home page. (One of these days I'll get around to giving them the proper attention they need to polish them up a bit more.) I've put together a swashbuckling-themed set of Adventure Cards, some travel maps (for areas other than just the Spanish Main), some map tiles, and a few paper figures to represent sloops.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marway the Cabin Boy has been a regular in our Pirates game since he first appeared. He finally got promoted to Wild Card status recently, and is now a gentleman's gentleman.

Cripple X

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Age of Piracy Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:

The NPC stat-blocks are from Dave Blewer, and I had a lot of fun reading his write-ups.

Me too! Dave did a wonderful job with the stats and the blurbs. Like Wiggy posted above I could definitely see some of these characters being part of a campaign.

Quote:
Quote:
Will you be releasing more? The French or Spanish Perhaps?

That's entirely up to the TAG folks, of course. (I'm just a freelancer, so I don't make any decisions on the product line.)

I understand. If TAG were to release more sets, I would be all over them like white on rice on a paper plate with a glass of milk in a snowstorm. The upcoming Daring Tales of the Space Lanes sounds awesome, but what I'd love to see would be Daring Tales of the High Seas or something similar. Your flats would be perfect for something like that. You might want to go ahead and start drawing though. With the pace at which TAG releases products I could drop this hint today and in three weeks DTotHS #1 will be on the Homepage with Wiggy having already written the entire series. Very Happy

Quote:
I've got a few freebie player aids I've put together as fan items on my home page.

Those are excellent resources Jordan. I those will definitely make an appearance if I do get around to a pirates game.
TAG Dave

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww Shucks Embarassed

I wouldn't have been able to come up with the stats without the illustrations Smile

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: