Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMG v. Pistol at short range
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: SMG v. Pistol at short range Reply with quote

In SWEX the rules say the only firearm you can use in contact with an opponent (melee) is the pistol. Since you can fire the SMG one handed in Necropolis 2350, is it also usable in close quarters?
Do everything in love. I Cor 16:14

SDG
quigs

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm not an "official" authority on this, but personally, I would say no. SMG's are still larger than pistols even though they can be fired with one hand, and the rule clearly states you can't use it if it's larger than a pistol. You can still club guys with it, but that's about it.
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint at PEG would be the man for the official SWEX answer, but I'd go with Quigs. The wording says pistol and I've never seen reason to change that with Necropolis.

That said, Clint's answer is likely to contain an official response (pistol only) and the standard reply of "It's your game." Smile

quigs

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When stuff like this comes up in my games, I usually picture movies and try to remember how they handled it.

In most movies, there is a wrestling match for the gun, then a bang, then one of the actors slumps over dead. The gun is almost always a pistol.

Another good reference is in Aliens when the marine woman with the red headband is in the airducts and an alien jumps her, she presses its head against the duct with her boot, then pulls out her pistol and unloads.

I find players can relate to this type of ruling better than just saying "yes" or "no". But if the player can describe his action well enough, then a good WM will let him do it in rare occasions, or force him to spend a benny maybe.
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to ask. The only person I have ever seen shoot a SMG one handed was Arnold in the Terminator and he was supposed to be a robot. So when I saw that you could shoot SMGs one handed I thought "What the hey. I'll ask just to be sure."

SDG
Control

Deuce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Noris dual wields Mac-10 SMG's in one of his movies, but he's Chuck Noris so it still may not be possible for a mere mortal. Very Happy In Star Gate SG1 Teal'C dual wields P90's, but he's a super strong near human alien. So one handed SMG uses looks like you have to be an alien, a robot, or Chuck Noris! Laughing
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you always have to put your money on Chuck Norris! Cool

My youngest has a PC with Two Fisted, and Rock and Roll, so the inevitable question of can I use SMGs in melee came up when he found out you could use the SMGs one handed. Razz

Oh well, he has a +2 to shooting and +2 to damage pistol (he got with a relic card) and he'll just have to make do. Although he has already asked to try to make his pistols fully automatic. That kid is so smart and so creative, and he is great at logical arguments as well and he is only 10!

SDG
Judge Holden

No Cards!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quigs wrote:
Another good reference is in Aliens when the marine woman with the red headband is in the airducts and an alien jumps her, she presses its head against the duct with her boot, then pulls out her pistol and unloads.

Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?
Vasquez, aka the-marine-woman-with-the-red-headband : No. Have you?
Murgh Bpurn

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control wrote:
Chuck Noris dual wields Mac-10 SMG's in one of his movies, but he's Chuck Noris so it still may not be possible for a mere mortal. Very Happy In Star Gate SG1 Teal'C dual wields P90's, but he's a super strong near human alien. So one handed SMG uses looks like you have to be an alien, a robot, or Chuck Noris! Laughing

Dual wielding AK-47s
Army Soldier dual-wields some M249's

Very Happy
the_redstar_swl

No Cards!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has entirely too much time on their hands Wink No pun intended.

SDG
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_redstar_swl wrote:

I've never fired a gun in my life but hell, I could pose with two of them as well. Very Happy
Tuesday

Deuce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, some on, that rifle is pretty heavy to hold out at arm's length. Why, I bet he'd have trouble doing that for long enough for a painted portrait session, so that must count for SOMETHING, right?

(This discussion suddenly reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D, where "kick" was a weapon and also there was a "kick" hotkey. The hotkey used the left leg no matter what you were armed with, and the "weapon" used the right leg - so you could sprint around, making little footstep noises, while kicking in front of you with *both legs*.

I always thought that was awesome. If they ever make a new Duke Nukem game, they need to keep that feature.)
OsiAdept

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the m16 is kinda heavy but i am small man 5'5. And if you want to be technical he is only bracing the RPG Launcher on his shoulder not holding it in one hand. Still a cool image

Black ICE a game of military horror
http://incursioncountermeasureenforcers.blogspot.com/
daran

Five

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that he uses the sling to augment the hold on the pistol grip. I wouldn't want to fire a M16 like that, and certainly wouldn't want to fire anything with a proper caliber like a M14 or SLR. The British SA80 would be an easy one hander though in its LMG and Rifle configurations - the magazine being behind the grip helps. I guess then the French FMAS and the Steyr AUG would probably be okay too.

In reality, while it may look 'cool' to run around with two weapons like that, it probably lowers your effectiveness. Get a '16 with an underslung M203 or an AK with a BG-17. Easier all round.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Necropolis 2350 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: