Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's this forum for?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: What's this forum for? Reply with quote

Hi all,

This forum is for figure artists and modelers to discuss their projects.

TAG has its very own model guru, TAG Steve, who'll be around to provide advice and tips.

We're also planning on posting free downloads on how to make a variety of terrain pieces from scratch using easy to get hold of items. These will be photo and text guides in a step-by-step format.

Whatever your modeling skill level, we hope you'll be able to make amazing centerpieces for your game table.

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh Oh... never been a guru before...

Thanks for the build up Wiggy. When I first started wanting things I looked at the stuff other people made and came to the conclusion there was no way I could do it. So like a lot of gamers I went out and bought ready made stuff.

One day I was sitting, being bored, and started messing with a piece of corrugated card, I was folding it and it sort of fell into an L shape. I grabbed a modelling knife and started hacking holes in it and all of a sudden it became a ruined building, well after that there was no stopping me.

I tend to make stuff to game with, made from stuff I can find lying around or at the best really, really cheap. I work on the principle that if I can make it then other people should be able to. So this is where I am coming from. I have been doing it for years now and really enjoy doing it. My biggest heartbreak moving to Shetland was having to leave behind my Mordheim town... 23 buildings, towers and various other bits and bobs.

I think the aim is to get out some kind of tutorial once a month. These will be as PDF's to allow people to download them easily. I will be here to try and answer any questions about what I did. My aim is to match terrain projects with ideas that Wiggy comes up with (luckily he lives nearby so it is easy to bounce ideas around.) At the minute my kitchen table is covered in offcuts of polystyrene with strange buildings rising from the middle of these offcuts.

Cheers
Beardy Steve
Ron Blessing

Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Steve wrote:
Uh Oh... never been a guru before...

Thanks for the build up Wiggy. When I first started wanting things I looked at the stuff other people made and came to the conclusion there was no way I could do it. So like a lot of gamers I went out and bought ready made stuff.

One day I was sitting, being bored, and started messing with a piece of corrugated card, I was folding it and it sort of fell into an L shape. I grabbed a modelling knife and started hacking holes in it and all of a sudden it became a ruined building, well after that there was no stopping me.

I tend to make stuff to game with, made from stuff I can find lying around or at the best really, really cheap. I work on the principle that if I can make it then other people should be able to. So this is where I am coming from. I have been doing it for years now and really enjoy doing it. My biggest heartbreak moving to Shetland was having to leave behind my Mordheim town... 23 buildings, towers and various other bits and bobs.

I think the aim is to get out some kind of tutorial once a month. These will be as PDF's to allow people to download them easily. I will be here to try and answer any questions about what I did. My aim is to match terrain projects with ideas that Wiggy comes up with (luckily he lives nearby so it is easy to bounce ideas around.) At the minute my kitchen table is covered in offcuts of polystyrene with strange buildings rising from the middle of these offcuts.

Cheers
Beardy Steve

You sound like a guru to me... Plus, we Savages really like to throw the guru word around! Can't wait to see what you do.

Gamer: The Blogging
RoleplayDNA
Smiling Jack's Bar & Grill
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron...

I have done 2 write ups already and am making the terrain for 3, 4 and 5 at the minute. I have been taking photographs at every stage so that I can show how things have been done and why. I also add in the photos of when things went wrong - Hopefully it will stop people making the same mistakes as me.
Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 Mordheim Buildings?

That's some ruined town that is!

Shame you couldn't take it with you!
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to sound gushy, Beardy Steve's stuff is very, very good. As my number one stalker fan, he's gifted me with a ruined cathedral and small industrial bulding for Necropolis and a burial mound with a removable top.

Jim Ivens, another local modeler and good friend, scratch built a fantastic castle gatehouse. That also sits in my office Smile

As Steve said, though, we're hoping to have projects tie into releases as best we can. Next month is pulp month...

Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is it about Shetland that produces such awesome modelers then?
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:

Well, in the summer we have long days (23 hours of daylight/twilight virtully), so folk can work late. In winter, it gets a bit dark and stormy, so folk stay in Smile

TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:
23 Mordheim Buildings?

That's some ruined town that is!

Shame you couldn't take it with you!

Yep I was gutted, we moved really quickly, so it actually went into a skip, I couldnt find anyone who wanted it. All my friends who I gamed with didnt have the room, and unfortunately I knew trhat when I got up here neither would I.

The houses ranged from single story to 3 stories that overlapped the streets, the tower was 18 inches tall and then there was some strange cylindrical double tower joined by a rickety bridge... Unfortunately never thought to take a picture of them...
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:
Tavis wrote:

Well, in the summer we have long days (23 hours of daylight/twilight virtully), so folk can work late. In winter, it gets a bit dark and stormy, so folk stay in Smile

Yep second that, plus every small place I drive past has a skip, which is a model makers helpful place - full of useful things like polystyrene and the like.
Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of skip-diving for 'cool stuff for scenery' quite often.

But then, I run a GW store, so I'm making scenery more often than most folks.

It's wierd what you can turn into something to game with.

I've been known to wave strange bits of 'rubbish' in front of friends faces saying things like 'and this is going to be...<insert thing here> ..." only to have them look at me rather blankly.
Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:

Enjoy the Solstice today then! More light than you'll know what to do with it!

I only ever got as far North as Carlisle before I needed to head south again, but I'm a Cornishman at heart.
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAG Wiggy wrote:

As Steve said, though, we're hoping to have projects tie into releases as best we can. Next month is pulp month...

The next 3 projects I am working on are pulp related - I might even manage a 4th before the end of July before I get ready for what amazing ideas Wiggy offers in August
Tavis

Three

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Renny

No Cards!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TAG SteveThe next 3 projects I am working on are pulp related - quote]

Ooh. Pulpy goodness. I can't wait to see what you have in store.

Renny
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: