Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trifold vs. Bifold Figure Flats
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Trifold vs. Bifold Figure Flats Reply with quote

I used Jordan Peacock's wonderful "Gothic Adventures" Figure flats this weekend for a Halloween game with my kids. The art is great and added to the game for sure. I also used some figure flats from Onemonk and have to say I like them too for different reasons. (Both sets also gave me some great inspiration)

I like that I can store bifold figure flats more easily. I have alot of trifold figure flats from TAG and I am wondering how to store them without them getting all tore up over time (I have been using them for about 6 months now and already have a bunch that are crunched up). With the bifold I just pop them in an envelope and put them in a premade base when I need to use them (the premade bases are even easier to store than the trifolds).

If you have a suggestion for storage and preservation I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Do everything in love. I Cor 16:14

SDG
daran

Five

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For trifolds I'd suggest storing them loose in something like a sandwich box - TAG Steve uses a few tupperware like containers which are also watertight. I use a recycled ice cream tub (Orkney Ice Cream - Toffee Fudge 4 Litre) which gives them plenty of room and a rigid structure to stop crushing.
BigJackBrass

Deuce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I used tri-folds (I always convert them to bi-folds) but what I used to do with such figures in the past was to store them flat. Instead of gluing them into their "prism" shape I used the smallest paperclips I could get to hold them in shape, then unclip them for storage. A bit fiddly perhaps but it did avoid the problem with them getting crushed.
dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJackBrass wrote:
It's been a while since I used tri-folds (I always convert them to bi-folds) but what I used to do with such figures in the past was to store them flat. Instead of gluing them into their "prism" shape I used the smallest paperclips I could get to hold them in shape, then unclip them for storage. A bit fiddly perhaps but it did avoid the problem with them getting crushed.

Small paperclips is what I've used in the past as well Smile

Three

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJackBrass wrote:

How do you convert your trifolds to bifolds?

SDG
Jordan Peacock

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:

1) When you cut out the trifolds, ONLY cut out two of the panels that have a front view of the figure and a back silhouette.

2) Fold the two panels together and glue them (with a light amount of glue).

3a) Once it's dry, insert the flattened figure into a plastic "figure flat" holding base. Steve Jackson Games used to have some plastic bases that worked for this. For a while, several Games Workshop games had such bases, too (I use some from Space Hulk).

- OR -

3b) Print off some separate bases to attach. I've made a couple of PDFs for these:

http://greywolf.critter.net/paper/pdf/UrbanCombat_FigureFlatBases.pdf

http://greywolf.critter.net/savageworlds/pdf/Slipstream_FigureFlats_AlternateBases.pdf

- OR -

3c) Tape down the "figure" to a base of some sort, such as a plastic Games Workshop "slottabase," or a washer, or even a penny. This can be a bit awkward, though - and I'd prefer to only go this route in combination with "3b" to give the figure a little more weight so it doesn't get blown across the table by a fan.
BigJackBrass

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:

Pretty much exactly as Jordan says, using plastic clip bases (or occasionally very small metal stationery clips with the wire "arms" removed) Very Happy I just find them easier to handle and more obvious when it comes to which direction the figure is facing.
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it.

SDG
philth

Deuce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not bases for bifold minis so trifold is for me. I remember the old Marvel Super Heroes Box Set and all the trifold figures it came with. That was my first experience using minis in a game. I kept them stored in a tuperware container and they did well. Now days I just through them into a cardboard box with the rest of my minis :p Hell if they get ruined I can always print more. I've been trying to get all my minis sorted lately in ziplock bags. Very helpful for someone without alot of storage space when you need a certain monster or mini. For example, I keep all my zombies and skeletons in one bag, all my medium size humanoid monsters in another, pirate crew, etc... why am I telling you this...beats me
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine fit nicely into sealable plastic mini crates, they hold around 20-30 (I cant remember exactly how many) trifold figures. I pixked them up in a woolworths for £1 each. you can drop them sit on them and then play with the card figures inside Very Happy.
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are on the topics of minis. What do you do to preserve your minis? I know some of you have said you just re-print them at need, but I am trying to watch the expense...so does anyone lacquer them or something?

SDG
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box I keep them in looks after them really well, you could use sticky back plastic I suppose, but it gets tricky on the folds, not to mention the threat of bubbles forming on the surface. Mine have lasted a long time, the odd one has been dropped and stood on, but it is 1 kazillion times better than it happening to a pewter figure
Jon Ginsberg

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bases for my bifolds, I simply picked up some binder clips, 3/4" ones. Those are the giant paper clip type things with a black binding part and shiny metal arms. I just clip the figure flat in, and remove the arms. Very cheap compared to bases you buy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hellfire6A

Three

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Ginsberg wrote:
For bases for my bifolds, I simply picked up some binder clips, 3/4" ones. Those are the giant paper clip type things with a black binding part and shiny metal arms. I just clip the figure flat in, and remove the arms. Very cheap compared to bases you buy.

Love the binder clip idea...but it would cause domestic disharmony I am afraid. My wife loves to use them and she'd be a bit miffed if I used them is such a spend thrift fashion Razz

SDG
TAG Steve

Artist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

accidently stamp on them, snapping one arm off, then they become useless for the reason they were made. Therefore you will be applauded for recycling!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Terrain Building, Minis & Figure Flats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: